The Guardian view on the NHS crisis: Theresa May is in denial
Consistency and calm can be great strengths in a political leader in troubled times. But there is always a risk that they will look simply like a denial of reality. The speech that Theresa May gave to the Charity Commission on Monday morning fell into the latter category. Her failure to talk at all about the winter crisis in the NHS will fuel the damaging sense that the prime minister is insensitive to the mounting roar of anguish from what – as Jeremy Hunt, the health secretary, said later in the Commons – is Britain’s most precious public service. The omission undermined what she was... read more
- 11:32 Woman pushed to ground in bag snatch robbery
- 11:32 Yorkshire weather: Heavy rain and strong winds to last
- 11:31 Work on new £10m Wakefield stadium to get underway this year?
- 11:31 Man re-arrested for offences under explosives act after 'unknown...
- 11:30 WEATHER ALERT: Rain warning issued for Notts
- 11:29 Yorkshire weather: Heavy rain and strong winds to last
- 11:29 Cervical cancer - testing for THIS virus during a smear test could...
- 11:29 Family of Isaac Paulous, 5, who died in Grenfell fire pay tribute...
- 11:29 Google fined £2.1BN for online shopping competition breaches
- 11:28 New Hucknall cadets welcomed following open day
- 11:27 Wimbledon 2017 - What you can't take in - the full list of...
- 11:27 Nintendo Switch news: Nintendo teases another MAJOR game announcement
- 11:27 Harry Redknapp had this to say about Birmingham City's interest in...
- 11:27 Spider-Man Homecoming: Tom Holland just confirmed a HUGE fan theory...
- 11:27 Aston Villa fans face disruption with major city roads to close for...
- 11:27 Yorkshire weather: Heavy rain and strong winds to last
- 11:27 Peter Odemwingie explains why Albion, Newcastle and Everton want...
- 11:27 Britain's hottest new baby name revealed as parents get political
- 11:27 Government willing to contribute to £31 million cost of fitting...
- 11:27 Thunderstorm warning issued for parts of Nottinghamshire
- 11:26 WEATHER ALERT: Rain warning issued for Notts
- 11:25 Take a trip back to the year you were born
- 11:25 Police appeal over VW Golf used in Walton drive-by shooting
- 11:25 Alvaro Morata enjoys post-honeymoon beach break as Manchester...
- 11:25 Old Blind School owners say Liverpool restaurant will reopen after...
- 11:25 U.S. Republican leaders work to buoy Senate healthcare bill
- 11:24 West Cumbrian criminal damage investigated by police
- 11:24 Elderly are up to speed with web
- 11:23 Trinity bosses offer to step down from trust to ensure £10m stadium...
- 11:23 Halifax child sex offender jailed for historic offences