The 'Great Dying' wasn't so great after all: Extinction event 252 million years ago may have been less extreme than thought
It’s been called the worst extinction in our planet’s history, wiping out nearly all life on Earth 252 million years ago.
But, according to a new study, ‘The Great Dying’ might not have been as bad as once thought.
While previous research found this event led to the extinction of up to 96 percent of all marine species, the new calculations estimate the losses may have been much lower, with the actual extinction rate at around 81 percent, suggesting instead that ‘life did not almost disappear.’
WHAT THE STUDY FOUND According to the new calculations, 90 orders and 220 families of marine... read more
- 07:59 Man discovers bomb in his garden while digging for an extension
- 07:59 Traffic and travel around Burton and South Derbyshire this morning,...
- 07:58 Police return to hospital over new saline bags scare
- 07:58 Cumbrian bus route facing the axe saved at 11th hour
- 07:58 Sunshine and colder conditions
- 07:57 Cinema listings
- 07:56 The morning news headlines:
- 07:55 Ashley Young ready to quit Manchester United to earn £5...
- 07:54 Tesco recall ready meal over allergy risk
- 07:54 Chelsea defender deal: Star explains why he’s snubbed the Blues
- 07:54 Number of homeowners moving house falls for the first time in five...
- 07:54 Are you a buy-to-let mortgage prisoner? Brokers warn rising number...
- 07:54 Wife pays tribute to her 'gentle giant' war veteran husband
- 07:54 The hottest investment trusts revealed: Contrarian Murray...
- 07:54 New Grimsby Town midfielder Jamey Osborne can't wait for his...
- 07:54 Five rip-offs and financial wrongs that need to end: From ticket...
- 07:54 Grimsby Town boss eyeing TWO more signings in January window
- 07:53 Three-car crash on A19 LIVE: Lane closed near Sunderland causing...
- 07:53 The morning news headlines: Donald Trump vows to unify the US as he...
- 07:53 Sunshine and colder conditions
- 07:51 New coffee shop in Preston is taking shape
- 07:51 Historic Newsome Mill ponds saved from developers
- 07:50 Cameron House reveals plans for lochside terrace revamp
- 07:50 Liverpool News: Big transfer claim, Premier League title blow,...
- 07:50 Pundit reveals why Manchester City will struggle against Tottenham...
- 07:49 UPDATE 1-UK Stocks-Factors to watch on Jan 20
- 07:49 Donald Trump Inauguration: 'America steps into the unknown'
- 07:47 Manchester United transfer odds on top summer signings including...
- 07:46 Generosity of fundraisers enables mum to stand up fully again
- 07:46 Trust chiefs face £290k business rates increase