The fight for a new runway has made me grey, says the airport boss set for a £5m pay day if he gets his way
Being asked to guess someone's age is always disconcerting. So when Stewart Wingate, the chief executive of Gatwick, insists I take a stab at how old he is, I decide to err on the flattering side and plump for 48.
In reality, I imagine the genial north-easterner, who has rosy apple-cheeks but a mop of steel grey hair, is several years older, maybe 55.
Oops. He was 45 on Saturday. Clearly, he has been prematurely aged by his tireless championing of his airport in its fight with Heathrow for an extra runway.
Before I start to squirm too visibly, he admits as much. 'It's the effect of this... read more
- 17:19 Gardener’s appeal after thieves steal van
- 17:18 Tragic star Savenaca Koroibulileka’s wife and sons attend memorial...
- 17:18 It’s beginnning to look a lot like Christmas in Bourne
- 17:18 Ex-Swiss banker goes home after U.S. loses extradition from Germany
- 17:18 Departing Gregory hails ‘brilliant’ Stratford Town supporters
- 17:17 Drivers spend 11 hours stuck in Castle Street traffic jams in one...
- 17:17 University ‘tells gay student to keep quiet after classmates tell...
- 17:17 How Nokia and Motorola mobile phones are among classics selling for...
- 17:17 New road signs proudly welcome visitors to Hull UK City of Culture
- 17:16 Marcus Rashford will be a centre-forward, says Manchester United...
- 17:16 Police capture convict hiding under van
- 17:14 Breast cancer drug ‘unfairly blamed’ for side effects
- 17:12 Burlington School’s brush with success in art competition
- 17:12 Scots GPs warn rising workloads may affect patient care
- 17:11 Bomb disposal team to carry out explosion on Walney
- 17:11 Exclusive - Japan's TDK in talks to buy iPhone supplier InvenSense:...
- 17:10 Sky receives takeover approach from 21st Century Fox
- 17:10 Residents urged to secure properties following thefts
- 17:10 One of Cumbria's worst-hit communities reunites after the floods
- 17:09 David Seaman picks a stunning dream Arsenal five-a-side team: Who...
- 17:09 Tens of thousands of homes without water due to burst main
- 17:09 Boston United appoint Adam Murray as new manager
- 17:08 11 good deeds that have happened in Nottingham this week
- 17:08 Christopher Biggins on the Theatre Royal and why Nottingham panto...
- 17:07 'Altercation' reported at Uttoxeter's Christmas Cracker
- 17:07 East Midlands funk, soul and reggae band By the Rivers to play...
- 17:07 Christmas and New Year supermarket opening times in Burton and...
- 17:05 Alabama inmate heaves and coughs during lethal injection
- 17:04 Health experts urge people in Northamptonshire to order repeat...
- 17:03 Man United hero Ryan Giggs reveals Louis van Gaal thoughts before...