The extraordinary collection of keepsakes from Tyne-built Battle of Jutland ships
Keepsakes from Tyne-built ships which fought in the Battle of Jutland are to be auctioned.
The items are part of an extensive collection of more than 200 lots built up by a late doctor from South Shields.
They include hundreds of medals awarded to men who served in the Royal Army Medical Corps, British Red Cross and St John Ambulance.
The collection, which is expected to raise £20,000-£25,000, will be sold by Newcastle auctioneers Anderson and Garland on Tuesday.
The ship objects, made from timber from mainly First World War vessels, include ashtrays, bowls, candlesticks, table lamps and... read more
- 13:46 Austria recalls diplomat from Israel over Nazi shirt
- 13:46 Breakfast blueberry muffins could have as much sugar as a can of...
- 13:46 Metro plays Cupid: Fancy being set up on a date?
- 13:46 How much do people poo in their lives? Scientists provide a...
- 13:46 Woman shares photos of her beard to help others embrace their...
- 13:46 From creased earlobes to clubbed fingernails, the 6 unusual signs...
- 13:46 Cristiano Ronaldo and his Portugal team-mates step up their...
- 13:46 London Irish director of rugby Nick Kennedy leaves...
- 13:46 Generation Game returns for Easter treat
- 13:46 MK Dons sign midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker on loan until the end of...
- 13:46 Why voice search is the future and what you need to know about it
- 13:48 Review: Jersey Boys, Sunderland Empire until March 31
- 13:46 Glossier Brown is the Instagram making the cult beauty brand...
- 13:46 'I'd break him in half': Casemiro insists he won't fear injuring...
- 13:46 Trump era to inspire Edinburgh International Film Festival theme
- 13:46 Cynthia Nixon laughs at 'unqualified lesbian' dig
- 13:45 Five star hotel’s disgusting green swimming pool ‘made woman ill’
- 13:46 Nikolai Glushkov inquest adjourns pending further investigation
- 13:46 Carl Frampton to fight Nonito Donaire for WBO interim featherweight...
- 13:46 12 of the best bluebell woods in Scotland to visit this spring
- 13:46 My son was wrongly labelled as having special educational needs
- 13:45 Duchess carries out last duties before maternity leave
- 13:45 Glasgow fire in Sauchiehall Street sparks asbestos warning across city
- 13:46 TV shows are being mislabelled as Scottish to meet quotas, MSPs told
- 13:46 Rise in unauthorised pupil absences blamed on term-time holidays
- 13:45 ‘Possessed’ woman does yoga on edge of balcony while ‘high on flakka’
- 13:46 Lionel Messi scores sensational individual goal during Argentina...
- 13:44 COMMENT: Why being a landlord is now increasingly taxing
- 13:45 More pupils take term-time holidays, data shows
- 13:46 Gareth Bale breaks Wales scoring record in 6-0 thrashing of China