The deaf patients 'left behind' by the NHS
A lack of face-to-face interpreters is meaning deaf patients are missing key operations and being informed of serious medical issues - such as a miscarriage - via a tablet computer, the Victoria Derbyshire programme has learned. Many of those affected say they want to be treated as equals by the NHS.
When Jeff Parfitt unexpectedly woke up during a biopsy endoscopy, he wanted an interpreter to explain what was happening.
But there were not any available.
He panicked, pulling the endoscope - a tube with a tiny camera on the end - out of his body.
It was a vital procedure, but it had to be... read more
- 01:42 Nostalgia with Margaret Watson: 150 years of St Saviour’s Church in...
- 01:42 It’s good to talk: Is ‘pink and fluffy’ the way forward for...
- 01:36 Northern Rail: Guards row sparks fresh strikes
- 01:36 Anthony Smith: Rail passengers share woes and demand answers
- 01:36 Leeds City Council reveals new plan for Clean Air Zone charges,...
- 01:31 Tortured puppy shifts Turkey elections agenda
- 01:28 Trump administration scrambles as outrage grows over border...
- 01:19 Disabled mother who fought for mobility support back’s charity crusade
- 01:18 'It's exhilarating': Japan's female sumo wrestlers take on sexism
- 01:14 The Rolling Stones: How Eel Pie Island shaped the band's career
- 01:06 Did colour cost Lenny Kravitz a major role in Big Little Lies?
- 01:02 Susanna Reid in 'constant battle' with Piers Morgan
- 00:56 Palestinian killed as Israel fires rockets
- 00:56 BREAKING: Trump demands tariffs on $200billion of Chinese goods as...
- 00:43 Recording captures cries of children separated from parents at US...
- 00:43 Spain to exhume Franco's remains and turn site into place of...
- 00:43 Teenager arrested over fatal north London stabbing
- 00:37 Why is the St George’s flag controversial - and is it legal to fly it?
- 00:37 Water firms failed customers during 'Beast from the East'
- 00:37 University chiefs to be forced to justify pay
- 00:36 Susanna Reid: I've had enough of men telling me about feminism
- 00:30 Regulator condemns ‘beast from the east’ water supply failings
- 00:22 Rapper XXXTentacion shot dead in Florida
- 00:11 View across the valley is a stunner
- 00:11 Former Millbridge teacher dies at 95
- 00:10 Deaths of mentally ill rough sleepers in London rise sharply
- 00:10 Saudi Arabia players land safely at Rostov after plane caught fire...
- 00:10 How trying to stay cool could make the world even hotter
- 00:07 Sudoku 4090 medium
- 00:07 Man shot in the leg as armed police swarm North Liverpool after two...