The deadly virus with SPIDER DNA: Microbe steals poison genes from black widows to attack its prey
Small, black and red and highly venomous, the thought of a black widow nearby is enough to make most people break out in a cold sweat.
But the fearsome reputation could be shared by something invisible to the naked eye.
Scientists in Tennessee have uncovered a virus containing the same toxin used by the deadly spider to kill its prey.
Scroll down for video
HOW THE VIRUS 'BREAKS INTO' CELLS A team at Vanderbilt University in Tennessee found that the virus, a type of bacteria-targeting virus called a phage, had a patchwork of animal and other DNA in its genome.
Among these 'alien' genes was... read more
- 12:54 McDonald's offers all staff an end to zero-hours contracts
- 12:54 Liverpool 14-0 Establishment: How the Hillsborough Inquests verdict...
- 12:54 Nuns invade Tad restaurant
- 12:53 VIDEO: Heart-stopping moment driver-less car rolls into on-coming...
- 12:53 Worker injured in South Yorkshire factory raid
- 12:52 Spurs' boss Mauricio Pochettino reacts to Dele Alli Man City...
- 12:52 Gary Neville: This player should be Man United's next captain
- 12:51 Blurton death update: Paramedics found man, 63, unconscious at house
- 12:51 Charity Wellingborough to Rushden barrow push raises £600
- 12:51 Stoke City news and transfer rumours LIVE: Hughes backing, skipper...
- 12:50 Hummus crisis? What hummus crisis?
- 12:50 Worker injured in South Yorkshire factory raid
- 12:50 Nuns invade Tad restaurant
- 12:48 East Kilbride keeper gets his wish as he faces old club Buckie in...
- 12:48 British American says 2017 trading in line with expectations
- 12:48 Woman who died after burst football row was not originally thought...
- 12:47 The strangest skyscraper concept yet? Bizarre 'Pod Vending Machine'...
- 12:47 Malicious apps posing as Pokemon Go and Fifa gaming guides have...
- 12:47 New home in Ulverston secures future of Furness roller derby teams
- 12:46 Fancy a Big Mac at home - it could happen under new delivery plans
- 12:45 Who is standing for election in Misterton division?
- 12:44 Coronation Street grooming plot: Chris Harper burst into TEARS...
- 12:43 Manchester United hold Jan Oblak transfer talks with agent this week
- 12:43 Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund bidding to save seasons in...
- 12:43 P&G's third-quarter profit declines 8.3 percent
- 12:43 Twitter posts strongest growth in monthly users in a year
- 12:42 Nicola Sturgeon urged to set out indyref2 plan before election
- 12:42 Man dies after serious collision on A52
- 12:42 The best reactions to Ed Sheeran being in Nottingham (his fans have...
- 12:42 Nottingham Caribbean restaurant Turtle Bay has a new menu - its...