The dead-eyed phone trance of the sardine on the commuter train
James Walsh culture matters
IF THERE’S something I want to read I take the train to work, as reading while perched on a bike still hasn’t reached mainstream acceptance.
It’s a dreary, privatised train, often cancelled at the last minute but, when it turns up, I like to stand and watch the commuters around me. Not in a creepy way, you understand. I’m just interested in how they’re passing the 60-80 minutes each day they spend commuting.
Travel research tells us that the ideal commute time is 16 minutes, door-to-door. Our urban journeys meet all kinds of psychological needs. One transport... read more
- 09:49 Flights affected by Edinburgh Airport power cut
- 09:49 Euro zone household lending at fresh post-crisis high - ECB
- 09:49 IMF downgrades US growth as officials claim Donald Trump’s plan for...
- 09:49 POUND LIVE: Pound sinks as Bank of England deputy says NOT the time...
- 09:48 Sponsor announced for newest South Yorkshire school
- 09:47 Worksop school celebrates ‘outstanding’ Ofsted report
- 09:47 Paris Saint-Germain target Kylian Mbappe and Fabinho as part of...
- 09:47 Ivan Perisic to reject Inter contract offer to force through...
- 09:47 Another car stolen after Kenilworth burglary
- 09:47 See how the Romans lived during Ribchester’s re-enactment weekend
- 09:47 Nearly 50 homes in Warwick without power
- 09:46 Motion to withdraw and review Northumberland’s key planning document
- 09:46 The hanging gardens of Liverpool - here's what four new city centre...
- 09:45 Tube map app helps Londoners meet friends in the middle
- 09:45 Faecal bacteria discovered in drinks at Costa, Caffe Nero and...
- 09:44 Confident size 16 model Ashley Graham begs Victoria’s Secret to...
- 09:44 Masterplan to target deprived council estate
- 09:43 Man sent to crown court after punching his ex-girlfriend
- 09:43 Preston getting on with life amid Grayson speculation
- 09:43 Barnsley house boarded up in crackdown on anti-social behaviour
- 09:43 What were the best TV shows of the 1980s?
- 09:42 Scotland missing out ‘big style’ on decommissioning jobs, warns...
- 09:42 NHS Tayside jobs fears after damning finance report calls for...
- 09:42 Birmingham terror arrest as police swoop on behalf of Spain
- 09:42 Hillsborough charging decisions to be announced: Live updates
- 09:42 Six 'with links to Islamic State' arrested in raids across Europe
- 09:41 Yoga instructor helping residents find their inner calm
- 09:41 China launches new warship type to boost military strength
- 09:40 Uber wins right to appeal TfL's English tests for drivers
- 09:40 Highlands medical tech specialist expands with cash injection