The day India freed Goa from Portuguese rule
Goa on India's western coast was freed from Portuguese rule on 19 December 1961, more than four centuries after it was colonised.
The fight for freedom began in the 1940s as India inched closer to independence from British rule. But Goa remained a Portuguese colony until 1961, straining relations between India and Portugal as the former's support for the anti-colonial movement in Goa grew. In 1955, India even imposed an economic blockade on Goa.
In 1961, the Indian army invaded the state after the Portuguese fired at Indian fishing boats, killing one fisherman.
After 36 hours of air, sea... read more
- 12:27 Long Lartin prison governor 'attacked by inmate'
- 12:27 Top 10 books about the afterlife
- 12:27 Children's cough syrup from Asda, Morrisons, Sainsbury's, Tesco and...
- 12:25 VIDEO: Kane England win the World Cup?
- 12:23 Music Review Forever young Felix marks half a century with radical...
- 12:23 Music Review Junction's techno treat the one to beat
- 12:23 Interview ‘Songs always boss you around’
- 12:23 Calls for BBC to sack Lord Sugar after ‘racist’ tweet
- 12:23 England star Jamie Vardy hailed ‘absolute legend’ for hilarious...
- 12:20 BBC announces action to boost staff from BAME backgrounds
- 12:20 'Finchley Park needs levelling' - Furious reaction as man, 45,...
- 12:20 Prince Louis to be baptised on July 9
- 12:20 Teenager robbed at knifepoint in Widnes
- 12:19 Portugal v Morocco LIVE: World Cup updates with Cristiano Ronaldo...
- 12:19 Ford Park group set out to combat litter scourge
- 12:18 12 gauge pump-action shotgun handed into police
- 12:18 Kalidou Koulibaly tells Chelsea fans to expect a ‘very good coach’...
- 12:18 Two seriously injured after two bus smash outside Edinburgh primary...
- 12:17 University includes Nazi quote in email to students
- 12:17 Corby medical centre fined for fly-tipping
- 12:17 Rejuvenated Jimny
- 12:16 Drivers’ incentives to use new coach park
- 12:16 Bookies link Wolves with shock bid for West Brom star
- 12:15 Airport runway closure saw disabled passengers 'trapped on plane'
- 12:15 This new hub will help young people with disabilities find employment
- 12:15 PICS: Football fever lands at Treetops Nursery
- 12:14 Workers shouted 'get out' following chemical leak at Carlsberg in...
- 12:14 Free travel on the Metrolink offered as part of Clean Air Day
- 12:13 Anger at hospital stroke plan
- 12:13 Big Clean campaign continues to inspire tidier south Cumbria