The current account deficit and what it means for Brexit Britain
Britain has long relied on foreigners to fund a big deficit in its balance of payments, a risk that has been heightened by the country's decision to leave the European Union.
Investors have pushed down the value of the pound and demanded higher returns on government bonds because they fear that Britain's economic prospects will diminish.
They are particularly worried by comments from Prime Minister Theresa May who has emphasised that she wants to control migration flows from the EU, something that could limit the country's access to the bloc's single market.
The current account deficit is... read more
- 10:50 For Enzo: Barrow Mayor among dozens wearing odd socks in support of...
- 10:50 Girl remains in critical condition following south Cumbria crash
- 10:50 Ian Wright urges Jose Mourinho to play Paul Pogba further forward...
- 10:50 Luke Shaw shows up at Manchester United training ground despite...
- 10:50 Justin Bieber takes mystery girl home amid Jelena split rumours
- 10:50 Is this a tribute to Red Arrows engineer?
- 10:49 These seven things are going to cost you a lot more from April
- 10:49 Why Liverpool's Mo Salah could cost this company £100m
- 10:49 Met Office is changing its weather warnings - here's why and what's...
- 10:48 Ian was a journalist of the old school who pulled no punches
- 10:48 Everything you need to know about the Met Office's weather warning...
- 10:48 EXCLUSIVE: Huge new plans for Burnley town centre
- 10:48 Northamptonshire MP pushes for investment in county three major...
- 10:48 David De Gea to Real Madrid: Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho to QUIT if...
- 10:48 UK earnings growing at fastest rate in more than two years
- 10:47 Ryan Giggs: I am more nervous as Wales manager than I ever was as a...
- 10:47 Talking Horses: Ruby Walsh aims at Punchestown return after leg injury
- 10:47 Israel admits it carried out 2007 airstrike on Syrian nuclear reactor
- 10:47 LATEST COURT RESULTS: Worksop and Retford
- 10:45 Demi Lovato thought about taking her own life aged seven
- 10:45 7 dream jobs currently available in Yorkshire if you want to work...
- 10:45 WATCH: Mum and daughter’s joy as carpool karaoke-style video goes...
- 10:45 Footloose to be preserved for posterity
- 10:45 Parklife launches petition to move May bank holiday
- 10:44 Diesel tax, benefits & five other law changes you need to know...
- 10:45 CCTV Footage: Sutton vets scared after attempted break in
- 10:44 Win! Family pass to Wheelgate Park – and buy your Chad for a 20%...
- 10:44 Family backs plan for MRI scanner at Notts children hospital
- 10:44 ‘Tell us about your potholes’ message from county council
- 10:44 House can be built despite dozens of complaints