The cosmic dawn: Dark energy camera reveals 23 young galaxies that appeared just 800 million years after the Big Bang
Astronomers have peered millions of years into the history of the universe, revealing a glimpse at an era known as the ‘cosmic dawn.’
Using the powerful Dark Energy Camera in Chile, researchers have spotted 23 young galaxies as they appeared 800 million years after the Big Bang, when the universe first began to transform from the darkness of its birth.
During this time, the universe underwent a process called re-ionization, in which the energetic radiation from the first galaxies and stars illuminated their surroundings, to effectively ‘burn off the fog’ obscuring young galaxies. ... read more
- 02:04 Steve Smith to return to cricket in Canadian T20 tournament
- 01:53 Lee Rhiannon announces retirement as Greens senator
- 01:53 San Francisco police will not be charged in deaths of Mario Woods...
- 01:34 SNP to launch growth report on economics of independence
- 01:25 'They are our brothers': Rohingya refugees find rare welcome in Aceh
- 01:25 Top bodies urge action to ward off Brexit VAT threat
- 01:07 Junior riders shine for Heckmondwike
- 01:04 'I took 57 painkillers a day to get high'
- 01:04 Angelina Jolie's Breadwinner spotlights Afghan girls' plight
- 01:04 Six acts to discover at Biggest Weekend
- 01:00 The strawberry-picking robots doing a job humans won't
- 00:58 Scarborough Market Hall wins prestigious award
- 00:57 Fewer children in detention but Indigenous rate falling more slowly
- 00:53 Cancer patient feels 'privileged to be alive' after NHS trial...
- 00:53 Breast screen error 'could have been spotted earlier'
- 00:50 Loan shark with ‘no morals’ in court
- 00:50 Saving flood water to get through the droughts
- 00:48 The Yorkshire Post says: Who’d be a spy? MI6 turns from Oxbridge to TV
- 00:48 The Yorkshire Post says: Chris Grayling’s audacity. Minister plays...
- 00:48 The Yorkshire Post says: Rural areas pay the price again. School...
- 00:47 Sudoku 4069 hard
- 00:40 Why DR Congo is confident it will halt Ebola
- 00:39 Alan Mak: Yorjshire can build digital apps to put NHS at your...
- 00:39 Bill Carmichaek: Confessions of a reluctant monarchist as Queen...
- 00:38 Kestrels fly high in promotion race
- 00:37 Prince William to visit Israel and Palestinian territories
- 00:34 Record US fentanyl bust 'enough to kill 26 million people'
- 00:26 Tax break plan for immigrants to attract best and brightest to an...
- 00:25 Rising stars of 2017: campaigner Faiza Shaheen
- 00:25 Home Office criticised for failures in reforms to criminal records...