The Blue Train: All aboard South Africa's fabulous icon of luxury travel - just in time for its 70th anniversary
The bugle player sounding Come To The Cookhouse Door fits the scene at Matjiesfontein to a tee.
This one-horse-town made up of a dozen colonial buildings with corrugated-iron roofs and balconies demarcated by cast-iron railings is a visual complement to the British Army call.
The time bubble is so complete, I almost expect to hear someone singing Oh! What a Lovely War. But then, that's what you sign up for when you travel on South Africa's Blue Train.
Matjiesfontein is the only stop between Cape Town to Pretoria on the 70th anniversary (or thereabouts) of this luxury service. It was... read more
- 12:05 Tamworth FC sell Greg Mills to Nuneaton Town as Morrell eyes double...
- 12:05 Dordon singer rubs shoulders with X Factor finalist Saara Alto
- 12:05 Atherstone factory finally set for redevelopment after plans agreed
- 12:05 Paris police search for man on Metro stabbing spree
- 12:05 Finally! Redheads may be getting their own emoji after an...
- 12:05 NHS transformation plans are beset by infighting
- 12:05 Return to Perth for star striker Stevie May is unlikely says Tommy...
- 12:05 EXCLUSIVE: Luke Rockhold to undergo stem cell treatment on injured...
- 12:05 Top 10 most complained about adverts of 2016
- 12:05 Nominations open for the Citizenship Awards for Todmorden 2017
- 12:04 Brother and sister pass driving tests at same time on same day
- 12:04 Do you have dashcam footage of M1 crash?
- 12:04 Friends join forces to cash in on the trend for vintage
- 12:04 ScotRail managing director Phil Verster steps down
- 12:03 Church fracking claim sparks online war
- 12:03 Your chance to see Wicked within 45 minutes from Coventry...
- 12:03 Steven Todd: How will Brexit affect construction?
- 12:03 Why Tottenham could crush Manchester City this weekend
- 12:03 Under fire ScotRail chief Phil Verster quits
- 12:02 Targeting hare coursers in Crowland and Deeping St James
- 12:02 Christine joins council shared management teams
- 12:02 Brutal Derby attacker Christopher Magee sentenced today - live updates
- 12:01 Everton Expected XI: Tom Davies to start in 3-5-2 to face Crystal...
- 12:01 Northampton fourth in UK for highest number of bus passengers, says...
- 12:01 Life in Kathmandu was a world away from the UK
- 12:01 BREAKING NEWS: Three 14-year-old boys arrested over stabbings in...
- 12:00 The Obamas prepare to leave the White House for the final time...
- 12:00 BREAKING NEWS: Three 14-year-old boys arrested over stabbings in...
- 12:00 Sunshine and colder conditions
- 11:59 Germany says IMF plans to stay involved in Greek bailout talks