The birth of a 'space kingdom': Asgardia launches its first satellite into space in bid to become a virtual nation (although it's only the size of a loaf of bread)
A ‘virtual nation’ complete with its own constitution and citizens has launched into space.
The small satellite, roughly the size of a loaf of bread, aims to establish Asgardia’s ‘sovereign territory,’ carrying half a terabyte of data into orbit.
Asgardia-1 launched to the International Space Station with the Orbital ATK Cygnus spacecraft, and will remain there until it deploys to low-Earth orbit in three weeks.
Scroll down for video
FIRST SPACE NATION Asgardia will be the first 'space nation'.
The name comes from the city of the skies ruled by Odin from Valhalla in Norse mythology.
It is... read more
- 16:18 8 dream jobs currently up for grabs in Yorkshire
- 16:18 Big musical for Arts Group
- 16:18 Anthony Clavane: The best dystopian drama holds up a mirror to society
- 16:17 Property: Willowdale Close, Bridlington, £214,950
- 16:16 8 dream jobs currently up for grabs in Yorkshire
- 16:16 Edward Hands and Lewis in Leicester sells off its EHL Commercial...
- 16:16 Three supermarkets cut fuel prices again as wholesale costs drop
- 16:15 8 dream jobs currently up for grabs in Yorkshire
- 16:15 Inspectors say Wellingborough care home is good
- 16:13 Banbury’s Original boys in Blue are back
- 16:13 Measles cases DOUBLE across Warwickshire - how to protect your child
- 16:13 6 dream jobs up for grabs in Sheffield
- 16:13 Readers react to rising tensions between Uber and black cab drivers
- 16:11 Three supermarkets cut fuel prices again as wholesale costs drop
- 16:10 Saltley fire: What we know so far
- 16:08 ‘Mega brothel’ to be built in Belgium to save listed building
- 16:07 This is what the law says about driving in flip flops or bare footed
- 16:06 Public asked for views on proposed second A413 cycleway which would...
- 16:06 Harley Davidson leads cavalcade of motorbikes on Pendle biker's...
- 16:06 Alton Towers glamping 'accommodation pod' plans dubbed 'dull and...
- 16:04 Yorkshire is set for the hottest June on record since 1976
- 16:03 What does it take to relocate a 195kg tiger in India?
- 16:02 This is what Birmingham airport is doing to stop queue-jumpers
- 16:02 Fire in Birmingham: Live updates as thick smoke seen billowing over...
- 16:02 Harley Davidson leads cavalcade of motorbikes on Pendle biker's...
- 16:01 Residents' anger at plans to build new homes in Salterforth
- 16:00 Humberside Fire update as firefighters called to huge house blaze...
- 15:59 Harrowing stoppage as Muay Thai fighter knocked out but his eyes...
- 15:58 Magid Magid, Sheffield’s lord mayor: ‘I’ve had a lot of stick, but...
- 15:57 Nuneaton dance troupe make it to World Cup in Barcelona