The Achilles tendon operation that will get you back on your feet faster: New technique uses muscle that moves the big toe to help aid recovery
Every year, surgeons in the UK repair 10,000 ruptured Achilles tendons. Gavin Thow, 33, a buying and production manager from South London, underwent a new technique with a speedier recovery time, as ADRIAN MONTI reports.
On the last evening of my holiday in Lanzarote in August, I was playing in a five-a-side football match at my hotel. About half way through, I quickly changed direction to reach the ball. Suddenly, something ‘went’ in the back of my left ankle and I fell to the ground.
A doctor said she thought I’d torn my Achilles — a tendon at the back of my heel — and used... read more
- 15:25 Burton Albion ladies survive fightback to avenge previous defeat to...
- 15:24 Theatre Review Subtle slant on black and white issues
- 15:24 Music Review Voice and guitar virtuosity from Roberts and Lakeman
- 15:24 Friends take on 621 mile cycle challenge at Rutland Water
- 15:24 Theatre Review Distinctly rocky horror show
- 15:24 Blind Alec goes the distance for Uppingham’s Hopper
- 15:24 Music Review Sax sensations from Steve Williamson
- 15:24 Rutland businesses reap benefits of faster broadband
- 15:24 Theatre Review Soft-focus tribute to a gritty working-class writer
- 15:23 Harry Potter themed party announced for Edinburgh MagicFest
- 15:23 Prom fashion on parade in Alnwick
- 15:23 10 of the best Edinburgh beer gardens you might not know about
- 15:23 Streamers delighted as Jonny joins as manager
- 15:23 Portrait of local laird for sale
- 15:23 Cliff Richard case: Editor has 'no concerns' over helicopter footage
- 15:22 'Facebook in PR crisis mode', says academic at heart of row
- 15:22 More than 1,000 students sign up to compensation claim
- 15:22 Explosives scare: This is what the police have said
- 15:21 Louth Bowls: County League honours for Mixed A
- 15:21 Home Office faces court action over asylum children
- 15:21 Toronto police officer hailed as hero for arresting suspect without...
- 15:20 People’s Pantry set to help residents in need
- 15:20 Could you be appearing on Salvage Hunters when it comes to Yorkshire?
- 15:20 ‘South Kesteven is open for business’
- 15:20 Grantham church comes Alive with new kitchen
- 15:20 Cash needed but plans submitted for village hall near Grantham
- 15:19 Abandoned hotel bosses faced 'ongoing battle' with trespassers...
- 15:19 Temporary traffic lights causing 'huge delays' on B582 Enderby Road...
- 15:18 Murder accused dumped girlfriend's body parts in bins and toilet,...
- 15:18 More than 1,000 students sign up to compensation claim