The 2016 Nobel prize for chemistry goes to three nanotechnologists
BIGGER is not always better. Anyone who doubts that has only to look at the explosion of computing power that has marked the past half-century. This was made possible by continual shrinkage of the components from which those computers are made—and that success has, in turn, inspired a search for other areas where shrinkage might also yield dividends.
One such, which has been poised delicately between hype and hope since the 1990s, is nanotechnology. Though what people mean by this has changed over the years—to the extent that cynics might be forgiven for wondering if it is more than just a... read more
- 11:18 Manchester United odds: Betting and tips ahead of Burnley clash
- 11:18 Star striker to return for Burnley v Manchester United clash
- 11:18 Drone catches the incredible moment a blanket of thick fog makes a...
- 11:18 QUIZ: Which scary Halloween monster are you?
- 11:18 The height of glamping: Inside the Royal Navy HELICOPTER...
- 11:18 Man United outcast closes in on exit: International ace to end Old...
- 11:18 European shares back in the red for October on weak results
- 11:18 Man Utd News: Star man in Arsenal transfer shock, squad photo...
- 11:18 Soil and soul: ‘Leeds is the perfect combination of rural and urban’
- 11:18 Recollections of city nightspot as it prepares to shut its doors...
- 11:18 Clinton holds lead, but pollsters say their job is harder
- 11:18 The George Hotel presents trophy to winners of Stamford and Bourne...
- 11:17 Greasy spoon map: The Yorkshire towns with most takeaways
- 11:17 Community heroes honoured
- 11:17 Tragedy of Scarborough tot, killed by his coat hood on a door handle
- 11:17 IMAGES OF YESTERYEAR
- 11:17 Accolades for town shops and employees
- 11:16 Saints coach West: We haven’t been complacent
- 11:15 Suez Crisis: The MI6 secretary with a ringside seat
- 11:15 Leicester boss Claudio Ranieri cried after watching Premier League...
- 11:13 Christmas 2016 events - and free parking - revealed for Carlisle
- 11:12 Children with life-limiting conditions launch appeal to keep their...
- 11:12 Bond sell-off threatens to unleash "angry rise" in yields - BAML
- 11:12 Tributes to Nancy, who gave much to her community
- 11:12 Frustrated grandmother designs emojis for the over-50s
- 11:11 Project to revitalise St Michael’s Churchyard
- 11:12 See inside the filthy Newcastle takeaway where a customer was left...
- 11:12 France, Britain bicker over child migrants stuck in Calais
- 11:11 Thief stole cracked phone and prescription sunglasses
- 11:10 Vital aid for the stricken people of Syria