Thanks love, but my name is Nicola
0 Have your say We’ve all been there. When a complete stranger calls you ‘love’ or ‘darling’, how do you react?
Are you insulted or are you immediately imbued with a sense of cosy warmth from the uninvited familiarity?
I ,for one, fall into the first camp.
When a man, or for that matter a woman, labels me ‘sweetie’, ‘doll’ or ‘ball-breaker’, a little part of me dies inside.
This is the same part of me that withers when I pass a building site full of cat-calling workmen while wearing a skirt.
Or the bit that cries when a reader rings up to speak to the editor, then assumes I am ‘his’... read more
- 17:00 Mansfield man faces child sex charges at crown court
- 17:00 'Come and join the Brexit club' Farage SHOUTS DOWN Brussels over...
- 17:00 Rescue at Glasson Dock involving lifeboat crews
- 17:00 Scots soldier jailed for life for stalking ex-girlfriend and...
- 17:00 Mum drove drunk and dangerously with young son in Forest Town
- 17:00 BREAKING: Person hit by train in South Yorkshire
- 16:59 Victim's jaw broken in seven-on-two gang beating in Northampton
- 16:58 Didi Hamann: Jose Mourinho is taking a huge risk by doing this with...
- 16:58 Arsenal make major summer announcement: Ivan Gazidis speaks out
- 16:58 Police appealing for information after spate of cars thefts near Rugby
- 16:58 Police warning after man approaches girl in Alvaston Park
- 16:58 One third of Brits have sleepless nights worrying about debt
- 16:58 Councillors agree to tackle rural GPs shortage
- 16:58 Bulldozers in move to make pier site safer
- 16:56 Call for spending limit on whole West Midlands Mayor campaign after...
- 16:56 Walney road closed by Police
- 16:56 When will The Chase be back? Anne Hegerty confirms agonising RETURN...
- 16:55 East Midlands ‘most tolerant’ of migrants but ‘hate EU budget’...
- 16:55 Dog coaxed from under car in Chapel St Leonards needs name
- 16:55 Nearly half of Russians want PM Medvedev to quit, says poll
- 16:54 Jose Mourinho orders Manchester United to sign Willian from Chelsea
- 16:53 Chelsea bombshell: Eden Hazard tells friends he wants to join Real...
- 16:53 Ronnie O'Sullivan OUT of World Snooker Championship 2017 after Ding...
- 16:53 Benidorm or bust in car rally for Charnock Richard father son team
- 16:52 Viking battlefield site said to be in Borders
- 16:52 Newcastle United tax raids are 'black cloud on sunshine of...
- 16:52 Bradley Lowery's Sunderland mascot role cancelled as mum shares...
- 16:52 Call for spending limit on whole West Midlands Mayor campaign after...
- 16:51 ‘Caring side of job appealed to me’
- 16:51 Tax fraud probe: What do we know so far? Who has been investigated?...