Thais mourn death of beloved king Bhumibol
Thailand began its first day in 70 years without a king in a profound state of mourning on Friday, as the crown prince asked for more time before ascending the throne following the death of his father and the world's longest-reigning monarch, Bhumibol Adulyadej.
The government declared a public holiday and people across the nation dressed in black, their eyes swollen and red with hours of weeping.
Many were still breaking down in a spontaneous outburst of emotion that reflected the deep love and respect Bhumibol commanded in Thailand.
The 88-year-old king had spent much of the last decade... read more
- 19:23 French court cancels Kazakh tycoon Ablyazov's extradition to Russia
- 19:22 Liverpool former stars reunite as Dirk Kuyt, Martin Skrtel and Brad...
- 19:19 Amble firm mentioned in Parliament
- 19:19 Water restored to 16,000 homes across Boston and Sleaford
- 19:18 Iraq says it destroys Mosul car bomb factories
- 19:18 Syrian government forces press attack in east Aleppo
- 19:18 Teenager who loved comic books given superhero send-off at funeral
- 19:15 Arsenal transfer target Julian Draxler dropped by Wolfsburg, exit...
- 19:14 Badminton loses £5.9m funding for Tokyo 2020 as UK Sport announces...
- 19:14 Chelsea boss Antonio Conte warns his players: We'll be in trouble...
- 19:14 Football fans face disruption as UEFA announce plans for 6pm...
- 19:13 Watch the moment Nottingham driver is caught up in M1 'road duel'...
- 19:12 Russia, Ukraine edge closer to gas accord at EU-brokered talks
- 19:11 Sky agrees to £18billion takeover deal by 21st Century Fox
- 19:11 If you hear applause in 19th minute of Leicester City v Manchester...
- 19:11 Trump to name Goldman executive to key economic post: reports
- 19:11 Bomb kills civilian, injures three police in northern Egypt -...
- 19:11 Negligence trial in France casts shadow over IMF's Lagarde
- 19:09 Jose Mourinho: Why I'm not worried about points gap between Man...
- 19:09 Why this property developer saw double at Derby auction
- 19:09 What would you do if you won £1 million? Here's what one...
- 19:04 Alexis Sanchez will only sign deal if Arsene Wenger leaves – report
- 19:01 Grantham Journal letter: Think of the patients first
- 19:01 Italian decree to support banking system is ready - government sources
- 19:00 Diego Costa’s creativity behind Chelsea star’s Player of the Month win
- 18:59 U.N. council meets on North Korea human rights despite China...
- 18:59 Turkish court dismisses case over 2010 Israeli flotilla raid - lawyer
- 18:59 Bolton says Trump moves could signal 'different,' tougher, China line
- 18:59 Man, 49, arrested after foxes killed by hunt hounds
- 18:59 Jose Mourinho’s pleas ignored and charge handed out after Zorya...