Tether crypto-currency operator reports $31m raid
The company behind the digital currency Tether has said that close to $31m (£23.4m) worth of its tokens have been stolen.
The Hong Kong-based company said it had taken action to prevent the thieves from redeeming the funds but now required other users to install an update.
It follows a series of other recent scandals involving crypto-currencies.
Bitcoin fell on the news but soon recovered most of its lost ground.
Unlike many digital currencies, which tend to fluctuate wildly against the dollar, Tether is pegged to the US currency.
This is supposed to protect investors from the volatility... read more
- 07:25 Spalding nurse and runner: ‘I just had to stop and help him’
- 07:25 Liam Boyce's return to Northern Ireland squad is a 'great boost'...
- 07:24 Pothole repair
- 07:24 Thirst for justice that cannot be ignored
- 07:23 Lionel Messi vs Cristiano Ronaldo: Italy keeper Gianluigi Buffon...
- 07:23 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and more
- 07:23 Big issues top agenda at Civic Hall
- 07:23 The rebel bank, printing its own notes and buying back people's debts
- 07:22 Easter events and activities which are sure to egg-cite the whole...
- 07:22 Nominate your community hero for award
- 07:22 Guest column: Nominate your local heroes
- 07:21 One win is only the start for Hartlepool United - Matthew Bates
- 07:21 Liverpool and Arsenal on red alert after transfer target's future...
- 07:21 Arsenal transfer news: Gunners eye replacement for Petr Cech
- 07:21 Arsenal transfer news: Gunners want Manchester United star
- 07:20 New book honours the ‘forgotten’ female workers in Sunderland’s...
- 07:20 EU leaders say ‘highly likely’ Russia carried out nerve agent attack
- 07:20 Man Utd target Toby Alderweireld 'annoyed' at Tottenham over...
- 07:18 Sing the blues away - choir is ‘good for your health’
- 07:15 Friday briefing: Break this Brexit cycle, says Labour frontbencher
- 07:15 Lignite mining: Greece’s dirty secret - in pictures
- 07:14 Man shares strange sign of a deadly infection triggered by a trip...
- 07:14 Yulia Skripal ‘briefly wakes up’ as medics fear she and ex-spy...
- 07:14 Double delight for Carlisle children's nursery after flood recovery
- 07:12 Bad lifestyles are to blame for 2,500 cancer cases a week as...
- 07:12 Alexis Sanchez: Man Utd stars dislike ‘sulky’ forward - players...
- 07:12 Chelsea star Alvaro Morata SLAMMED in debut season: I was wrong -...
- 07:11 Premier League fixtures 2017/2018 - these are the fixtures...
- 07:10 India renews Mohammad Shami cricket contract after violence charge
- 07:09 Double delight for Carlisle children's nursery after flood recovery