Tesco profits drop by more than a quarter but sales growth continues
0 Have your say Supermarket giant Tesco has revealed half-year profits dropped by more than a quarter, but notched up a third quarter in a row of sales growth as its turnaround gathers pace.
The group posted a 28.3 per cent fall in bottom-line pre-tax profits to £71m for the six months to August 26 after being hit amid the sector’s fierce price war.
Its fightback against the discounters helped UK like-for-like sales surge by 0.9 per cent in the second quarter.
Chief executive Dave Lewis outlined plans to slash costs by £1.5bn to help get profits back on track.
Mr Lewis said the cost-cutting... read more
- 08:08 Antoine Griezmann agrees five-year Barcelona contract after message...
- 08:08 Liverpool to begin talks with Lyon over £60m Nabil Fekir transfer...
- 08:08 Meghan Markle officially joins the ‘Firm’ as she gets her own...
- 08:05 Matthew Bates accepts Hartlepool United will have to box clever in...
- 08:05 Seven ways to manage anxiety
- 08:05 Chinese restaurant syndrome: has MSG been unfairly demonised?
- 08:05 I feel too unattractive to have the sex life I dream about
- 08:03 Gang of youths attack two people in Barrow street
- 08:03 Ryanair reports soaring profits but warns of headwinds
- 08:02 Retired guide dog is ticking off everything on his bucket list...
- 07:57 Ebola outbreak: Experimental vaccinations to begin in DR Congo
- 07:57 Delays and cancellations on Northern trains
- 07:55 Just a week until Rothwell’s Proclamation Day
- 07:55 Chelsea’s rebuild: Hazard and Courtois to follow Conte out of the...
- 07:53 Vehicles must now pass tougher and updated MOT
- 07:53 Second day of travel chaos as four million trains rescheduled
- 07:52 ‘Shocked’ Blackpool nan finds pony in backyard
- 07:49 Super gonorrhea is infecting people worldwide and ‘could...
- 07:49 Man Utd star Phil Jones ‘needs a doctor’: Star slammed for display...
- 07:47 Premier Inn work to start this summer
- 07:46 Cast of the Customs House show Mt Uncle Freddie visit Beamish for...
- 07:43 Delays and cancellations on Northern trains
- 07:43 Work starts on £7.5million specialist dementia care home
- 07:41 Billboard Awards 2018: Ed Sheeran wins big and Avicii tributes
- 07:41 Help is out there for Sunderland dementia sufferers thanks to new...
- 07:40 Inga Maria Hauser murder: Two men arrested in Loughguile
- 07:40 Under-threat community hub raises nearly £30,000 in a month
- 07:40 A shot in the dark
- 07:40 Alarm at how services run increases yearly
- 07:40 Fire ravaged Ovenden Hotel to be demolished for housing development