Tesco profits down 28.3% but sales growth increases again
Supermarket giant Tesco has revealed half-year profits dropped by more than a quarter, but notched up a third quarter in a row of sales growth as its turnaround gathers pace.
The group posted a 28.3% fall in bottom-line pre-tax profits to £71 million for the six months to August 26 after being hit amid the sector's fierce price war.
Its fightback against the discounters helped UK like-for-like sales surge by 0.9% in the second quarter.
Chief executive Dave Lewis outlined plans to slash costs by £1.5 billion to help get profits back on track.
Mr Lewis said the cost-cutting plans would not... read more
- 11:11 'Poorly parked vehicle' causes Sheffield bus diversion
- 11:09 Istanbul memories for PNE star John Welsh
- 11:08 Grisly seaside murders to feature in new TV show
- 11:07 New mums urged to adopt ‘breast is best’ philosophy
- 11:07 Nottinghamshire police are appealing for help to find a missing man
- 11:06 9 reasons why you should ignore Noel Gallagher and visit...
- 11:04 Chart-toppers Steps to headline North East gig
- 11:04 Man jailed for selling sick puppies then going on run
- 11:03 Nottinghamshire police are appealing for help to find a missing man
- 10:59 Jam-packed line-up for second day of Ireby Festival
- 10:53 Justin Langer expects Australia to 'cop it' in England over...
- 10:52 Rescue team and a walker help guide a lost man to safety off the...
- 10:52 Glorious conditions forecast in Cumbria for bank holiday weekend
- 10:52 Man Utd transfer news: Raphael Varane wanted in shock swap deal for...
- 10:51 Boots accused of charging NHS over £3,000 for £93 cancer...
- 10:51 Why one of the royal wedding flower girls was missing a hair wreath...
- 10:51 Student flats destroyed after someone used disposable barbecue on roof
- 10:51 Key Salisbury site reopens to public 11 weeks after nerve agent attack
- 10:45 Man jailed for selling sick puppies then going on run
- 10:43 Man jailed for selling sick puppies then going on run
- 10:43 Stabbed at a neo-Nazi rally, called a criminal: how police targeted...
- 10:43 Is Ramadan easier in Nigeria than New York?
- 10:43 Spanish socialists file no-confidence motion against Mariano Rajoy
- 10:41 Glorious conditions forecast in Cumbria for bank holiday weekend
- 10:41 Keswick Convention revamp work set to start on pencil factory
- 10:41 Several volcanic earthquakes strike near Kilauea's summit as...
- 10:41 An Inspector Calls... The Pig in Devon is an idyllic countryside...
- 10:41 Such a dishy city! Searching for the perfect paella in Valencia -...
- 10:41 Summer sorted! Not yet booked? Don't panic - dreamy family villas...
- 10:39 ASOS makes the case for carrying your junk in a miniature bin