TERROR PLOT AT CHRISTMAS MARKET – Seven arrested as police swoop on cell
FRENCH police arrested several men over the weekend and foiled a planned terror attack, Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said today.
Seven people of French, Moroccan and Afghan origin and aged from 29 to 37 years, were arrested in all, two in Marseille and most of the others in the eastern city of Strasbourg, he said.
One of the world's oldest and largest Christmas markets is due to open in Strasbourg on Friday.
Mr Cazeneuve did not say in his declaration to reporters what the target of the would-be attackers was however.
Related articles France is terror target, says presidential... read more
- 08:07 Alliance Trust Savings returns to full-year profit
- 08:06 Author Bill Bryson names St Andrew’s Church in Whissendine as one...
- 08:06 Roosting pigeons leave St Mary’s Church in Stamford with £30,000...
- 08:06 Villages such as Measham to become 'meat in noisy sandwich' over...
- 08:06 Campaigners hit out at Florida Farm decision
- 08:06 Bank branch to close its doors in September
- 08:06 Number of child sex offences recorded in Derbyshire drops
- 08:05 ‘I’m not going to retire’ says Hartlepool TV star Jeff Stelling
- 08:05 Plans for 30 homes in village near Shrewsbury submitted
- 08:04 Sheffield ice hockey player to be sentenced for sex attacks on girls
- 08:04 Guest column: Shale gas application was a complex call for everyone
- 08:03 Guest column: Shale gas application was a complex call for everyone
- 08:03 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 08:02 Real Madrid News: Star pair to Chelsea, new formation next term,...
- 08:01 John Edward: Is it time for all schools to have governors?
- 08:01 Reopen second Shrewsbury Railway Station entrance call
- 08:01 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 08:01 Lancaster City focusing on job in hand with seven games to go
- 08:00 Turkey says negotiating with aviation authorities on electronics ban
- 07:59 'Lukaku is absolutely flying at the minute' - Grimsby Town loanee...
- 07:59 Play-Offs are 'still possible' insists Grimsby Town boss Marcus...
- 07:59 French corporate margins, household income growth ease in...
- 07:59 Burglar with once-promising rugby career caught with tools after...
- 07:59 Spam, scam or sheer incompetence? Virgin Atlantic customers...
- 07:59 ECB's chief economist stands by pledge of keeping policy easy - Il...
- 07:58 Marine who won Taliban murder conviction appeal to be sentenced
- 07:57 Downton Abbey star Jessica Findlay-Brown admits she’s had an eating...
- 07:57 Chris Smalling? Jamie Vardy? Dele Alli? This England star set to...
- 07:57 Arsenal star Alexis Sanchez throws tantrum following Chile’s defeat...
- 07:57 Pep Guardiola plotting £80m double swoop