Temperatures soared inside nuclear reactor of Barrow-built sub
In May 2011, Barrow-built submarine HMS Turbulent was on operations in the Middle East when, while berthed at the port of Fujairah in the United Arab Emirates, temperatures onboard the boat began to rise.
According to the investigation report, the boat’s crew believed this had happened for one of two reasons – either the temperature was higher in the port’s stagnant water, or the submarine itself was generating heat and raising the temperature of the surrounding seawater.
At this point, the boat’s senior crew, including commanding officer Ryan Ramsey and the marine engineering officer, had... read more
- 15:38 Manchester United’s Daley Blind linked with AS Roma transfer
- 15:38 Jose Mourinho reveals the real reason he was in Croatia amid Ivan...
- 15:38 Four Egyptian soldiers killed by explosion in Sinai
- 15:35 Boxing Junior Championships cancelled due to 'threat to life'
- 15:34 QUIZ Celebrate Elton John’s 70th by proving you know all the words...
- 15:33 Who is Manchester United transfer target Ivan Perisic?
- 15:33 How to buy Man City tickets: A guide on how to attend the team's...
- 15:33 Call for councils to ban sky lanterns and balloons in Lincolnshire...
- 15:32 Woman who voted for Trump upset to find her husband will be deported
- 15:32 When do the clocks go forward in 2017?
- 15:32 Choir hits right notes at UK final
- 15:30 Justice League movie TRAILER: Full explosive promo arrives in full...
- 15:30 Seamus Coleman injury: Everton boss Ronald Koeman speaks out on...
- 15:29 How to look after your mental health when you’re always on...
- 15:29 Brazil teacher changes hairstyle to support bullied girl
- 15:29 Air ambulance called after two car crash near Holmfirth
- 15:26 How Hull could soon blanket ban pavement parking
- 15:26 Hull FC player ratings and stats after win at Wigan Warriors
- 15:25 Arsene Wenger gives contract update and reveals future plans
- 15:25 EU leaders meet in Rome but growing Euroscepticism in Italy...
- 15:24 Police pounce on homes and a barge during drugs raids
- 15:22 CHOKING HAZARD: Products for teething babies recalled due to safety...
- 15:22 Don’t forget- the clocks go forward tomorrow
- 15:21 Life on the Farm column with Frances Graham
- 15:21 'I Am Still Me' - Moving photography exhibition shows people with...
- 15:20 Port Vale v MK Dons LIVE: Three changes for Vale
- 15:19 Woman injured in two-car crash in Leeds
- 15:19 Hundreds detained as Belarus struggles to quell protests
- 15:19 Two suspects under formal investigation over Paris airport attack
- 15:18 County Londonderry: Prisoner dies in custody at Magilligan Prison