Teens arrested on suspicion of murder after death of St Helens man punched for over a cigarette
Two teenagers have been arrested on suspicion of murdering a man attacked in the street because he did not have a cigarette.
Len Saunders, 65, died after he was punched in the head and fell to the ground in St Helens.
The attack happened at 7pm on Friday July 21 as Mr Saunders was walking along Ward Street with a friend. Police said two men approached the pair and one asked if he could borrow a cigarette.
When the pair said they didn’t smoke Mr Saunders was punched.
He was taken to Walton Neurological Centre but died yesterday. A Home Office post mortem will take place to establish the... read more
- 12:19 Portugal v Morocco LIVE: World Cup updates with Cristiano Ronaldo...
- 12:19 Ford Park group set out to combat litter scourge
- 12:18 12 gauge pump-action shotgun handed into police
- 12:18 Kalidou Koulibaly tells Chelsea fans to expect a ‘very good coach’...
- 12:18 Two seriously injured after two bus smash outside Edinburgh primary...
- 12:17 University includes Nazi quote in email to students
- 12:17 Corby medical centre fined for fly-tipping
- 12:17 Rejuvenated Jimny
- 12:16 Drivers’ incentives to use new coach park
- 12:16 Bookies link Wolves with shock bid for West Brom star
- 12:15 Airport runway closure saw disabled passengers 'trapped on plane'
- 12:15 This new hub will help young people with disabilities find employment
- 12:15 PICS: Football fever lands at Treetops Nursery
- 12:14 Workers shouted 'get out' following chemical leak at Carlsberg in...
- 12:14 Free travel on the Metrolink offered as part of Clean Air Day
- 12:13 Anger at hospital stroke plan
- 12:13 Big Clean campaign continues to inspire tidier south Cumbria
- 12:13 Teen says charity abseil was no let down
- 12:13 Royal fuss kicked up over threats to beloved Bowness cinema
- 12:13 Scotland better represented in the Lords than other parts of the UK
- 12:13 'Catalogue of neglect' slammed by campaigners after second survey...
- 12:12 PNE add games at Cobh Ramblers and Oldham to their pre-season...
- 12:12 Intrepid Whitby wingwalker set to take on daredevil challenge in...
- 12:10 People of west Cumbria will be left with "second class service"...
- 12:10 Pop star Lee Brennan hosting Oasis-themed World Cup party in Carlisle
- 12:08 Saints 'ticking all the boxes' for prop star Franks
- 12:07 Police warn motorists: 'We'll be pulling YOU over if you drive this...
- 12:07 Sort it out! Council leader's plea to resolve hospital dispute
- 12:06 Women spends three years converting an old bus into a luxury...
- 12:05 Worksop man sentenced for role in organised theft of vans in three...