Teenager whose fragile skin falls off at the slightest touch has spent his life wrapped in a COCOON of bandages to prevent a deadly infection
A teenager has spent his life cocooned in bandages to stop his fragile skin from tearing off - saving his life.
Nicky Zahorcak, 19, was diagnosed with recessive dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa (RDEB) when he was born.
Doctors didn't expect him to survive past his first birthday because his skin can fall off at the slightest touch.
Painful blisters form at the slightest friction forcing him to lance, drain and clean them to prevent a deadly infection.
His condition has become so bad that he can no longer walk without causing extensive damage - making him reliant on his wheelchair.
In a... read more
- 12:54 Man rushed to hospital after Lye town centre machete attack
- 12:54 Couple buy former hotel and pub building and plan to redevelop it
- 12:53 Yuri Drozdov: The man who turned Soviet spies into Americans
- 12:53 Germany quashes gay men's convictions and offers compensation
- 12:53 COMMENT: Our health service is wonderful
- 12:53 Important safety message from Derbyshire police
- 12:53 Young woman from Harrogate in hospital after Land Rover smash near...
- 12:52 Three people were taken to hospital after a crash involving two...
- 12:52 WATCH Amazing drone footage of former American Adventure theme park
- 12:52 RMT announces three-day strike on Northern rail network
- 12:52 Ireland raises three billion euros from 'milestone' AIB sale
- 12:52 UK inflation expectations edge up only slightly in June - Citi/YouGov
- 12:52 Nemanja Matic agrees personal terms with Manchester United ahead of...
- 12:50 "I'm a reformed character": Leeds barber and Love Island contestant...
- 12:50 Teenage girl in critical condition after being hit by car in Leeds...
- 12:50 RMT announces three-day strike on Northern rail network
- 12:50 Monaco star Kylian Mbappe could be on his way to adidas from Nike...
- 12:50 Frank de Boer 'very excited' by prospect of managing Crystal Palace...
- 12:50 COMMENT: Our health service is wonderful
- 12:50 Ritz Ballroom forced to close AGAIN with all future events cancelled
- 12:50 Important safety message from Derbyshire police
- 12:48 Ritz Ballroom forced to close with all future events cancelled
- 12:48 Important safety message from Derbyshire police
- 12:48 RMT announces three-day strike on Northern rail network
- 12:48 Farmer wants a wife: Sara Cox hosts TV dating show with a difference
- 12:47 Why have our cars suddenly been covered in dust?
- 12:47 Manchester United's transfer problem would be solved by Gareth Bale
- 12:46 Gas pipe repairs set to cause months of disruption around...
- 12:45 QUICK QUIZ: The week in questions...
- 12:45 Stormy Stan makes an appearance at village carnival