Teen social media addicts more likely to suffer sleep deprivation
Teens addicted to Snapchat, Instagram and Whatsapp are more likely to be sleep deprived, a new study found.
Two thirds of those aged 11 to 20 were not getting the recommended amount of shut eye and nearly three quarters are on social media for at least an hour a day.
And the more a teen was on the sites, the less sleep they got. It found odds ratios for getting insufficient sleep ranged from 1.82 for using social media at least an hour a day to 2.98 for at least five hours a day.
And just one hour was enough to cause them to get less sleep than they should. The study found teenage girls... read more
- 12:32 Chinese-Australian billionaire involved in UN bribery case, MP claims
- 12:33 Man arrested over murder of baby girl in Sheffield
- 12:32 Former police race adviser accused of racially abusing man in...
- 12:32 Real Madrid aim to ‘announce Man Utd transfer agreement’ after...
- 12:30 Sellafield workers recognised for promoting diversity
- 12:30 Slapped cheek syndrome: grieving mum who lost son warns common...
- 12:30 In Pictures: Hundreds enjoy Brailes’ sunny hills walk
- 12:29 A dog which attacked a man in the street has been spared from being...
- 12:29 Big-spending days are over but why can’t Borussia Dortmund be a...
- 12:28 Obituary: Dales woman who grew up with no electricity
- 12:28 Man arrested over murder of baby girl in Sheffield
- 12:27 Barnett helps to let Godleman off the leash
- 12:26 Quirky cars of the Rotary Grand Tour to roll into Halifax
- 12:26 MANCHESTER ARENA ATTACK ONE YEAR ON: How the anniversary is being...
- 12:25 This is how many Wembley tickets Coventry City's opponents Exeter...
- 12:25 Danish minister Stojberg provokes Ramadan row
- 12:25 Sweden sends out leaflets on how to prepare for war
- 12:24 How much did the royal wedding cost and who paid for it?
- 12:24 Northumberland woman left pet puppy and kitten to die
- 12:24 Belper Town FC sponsor deal sees famous motor oil firm return to roots
- 12:22 Missing Chris May case: Body found in Essex murder probe
- 12:20 Cathedral artwork features in public exhibition for first time
- 12:20 Obituary: Dales woman who grew up with no electricity
- 12:20 M&S announce store closures across the country
- 12:20 Middlesbrough release Martin Cranie and Tomas Mejias as retained...
- 12:19 F-35 stealth fighter sees first combat, in Israeli operation
- 12:19 Tibet activist jailed in China over language campaign
- 12:19 Panama says new evidence shows 1994 plane crash 'terrorist' incident
- 12:19 MANCHESTER ARENA ATTACK ONE YEAR ON: How the anniversary is being...
- 12:18 Cheshire set for a beautiful bank holiday weekend