Technology designed to detect U.S. energy pipeline leaks often fails
On a routine check of a surface coal mining facility in rural Alabama early this month, inspector Randall Aldridge first smelled gasoline. Then he saw dead plants and animals along a man-made pond that helps the region manage heavy rain.
The cause had nothing to do with a mine.
Aldridge happened upon a leak on the main fuel artery to the U.S. East Coast known as the Colonial Pipeline, in what turned out to be the company's largest gasoline spill in nearly 20 years.
Colonial Pipeline Co and its peers in the oil and gasoline transport sector, tout high-tech, complex leak detections systems... read more
- 21:26 Simon Henig on why Durham County Council had no choice but to save...
- 19:18 Former fire service boss threw knife and dirty dishes at his...
- 18:49 Watch the moment FIVE clubbers pile into a Newcastle taxi in the...
- 17:28 Here's one Chinese man pleased that Toon boss Rafa Benitez isn't...
- 16:35 Thief who stole from pensioner's handbag left on the Metro...
- 16:35 Police investigate reports of man flashing at women in Walker area...
- 03:21 India launches record-breaking 104 satellites from single rocket
- 03:21 Firms urged to publish ethnic breakdown
- 03:20 Dear Sir, I'm sorry: letters of apology to former teachers
- 03:15 James O'Connor will not be offered new contract, says Toulon owner
- 03:07 Jonathan Gibbs: We must save rural life – but this school had to die
- 03:05 Prison officers to withdraw from riot duty in pay dispute
- 03:04 Review faults Washington police handling of inaugural protests
- 03:02 Roy Keane launches another dig at Jose Mourinho over his Manchester...
- 02:57 Nigel Farage aide defects to Tories claiming a mass exodus from Ukip
- 02:54 What happens in the brain when you learn a language?
- 02:49 Overwatch Season 4’s new hero has another big hint shared on Twitter
- 02:40 Top 10 state and national parks in Texas
- 02:35 Deportation of student halted hours before she was due to board plane
- 02:32 How statistics lost their power – and why we should fear what comes...
- 02:29 The 20 big questions in science
- 02:27 UK government surplus gives Philip Hammond pre-budget boost
- 02:24 Top 10 national parks in Arizona
- 02:19 Network Rail fined £4m after woman killed by train at foot crossing
- 02:09 Warren Buffett, 'Oracle of Omaha', criticises Wall Street and...
- 02:08 Top 10 bars in Nashville
- 02:05 Is Australia Racist? SBS documentary makes for uncomfortable viewing
- 02:03 Big tourism must demand action to save the reef – its business...
- 02:01 Does music really help you concentrate?
- 01:55 Trump says Oscar mix-up was because show was 'focused so hard on...