Teachers forced to paint own classrooms as cash-strapped schools struggle
Teachers at cash-strapped schools are being forced to paint their own classrooms – because government chiefs are starving the local authority of cash to maintain buildings.
Warnings have been made that Cumbria’s schools will fall into a state of disrepair unless funding cuts are reversed as figures show the county is receiving less than half of the money it needs for repairs.
Cumbria County Council is set to get about £4.8 million to maintain schools this year; however that is well below the £10m its own estimates suggest is needed annually to fully fix the backlog of maintenance issues.... read more
- 16:22 NOSTALGIA: Santa swaps sleigh for Model T Ford
- 16:22 Independent 'leads' in Austrian poll
- 16:19 White Christmas in Derby this year - what are the chances?
- 16:19 Calls for Welford speed limit reduction
- 16:19 Iceland Foods hits back at Icelandic government over trademark
- 16:18 Jurgen Klopp reacts to shocking Liverpool defeat at Bournemouth
- 16:18 Two schools’ big extension plans
- 16:16 Divock Origi: What I thought of Liverpool losing 4-3 to Bournemouth
- 16:16 Livid Liverpool fans blast Lovren, Lucas and Karius after...
- 16:16 PNE Fans’ Panel verdicts
- 16:15 Recovery teams comb charred ruins of California warehouse, 10th...
- 16:15 Rebels tell U.S. they won't leave Aleppo; army sees operation over...
- 16:15 Islamic State strikes back to slow Iraqi forces in Mosul
- 16:12 LIVE: Austria polls closed as Government declares no...
- 16:12 Brigg mourns death of respected sport figure
- 16:12 Bournemouth 4 Liverpool 3: Late Ake winner stuns Reds in thrilling...
- 16:11 'Serious fire' closes road
- 16:10 Last chance to enter Nottingham’s Santa Run and Walk
- 16:10 Live updates as police close A52 near Queen's Medical Centre after...
- 16:08 This will worry Leeds fans: Crucial Elland Road deal takes another...
- 16:07 Section of M6 to stay closed for roadworks
- 16:07 Are you wearing the right bra size? A Lincoln woman tells you where...
- 16:07 Fire at 100-year-old building thought to be deliberate
- 16:06 Ukraine: Five police killed in friendly-fire shoot-out
- 16:05 Christmas 2016: Could you burn some calories at the Christmas...
- 16:05 Drink-driver banned from the road after flattening lamppost and...
- 16:03 YOU ARE NOT ALONE: Support groups for the bereaved ahead of Christmas
- 16:03 Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp criticises Reds after Bournemouth defeat
- 16:02 Grantham shows are Strictly for dance lovers
- 15:59 Video: Kidsgrove Christmas lights switch on takes place thanks to...