Taxpayers may be liable for North Sea decommissioning bill, says study
UK taxpayers could be liable for a North Sea decommissioning bill of £75bn, according to a new study.
The GMB union said its research suggested an increased financial burden will be placed on the Treasury via tax refunds to oil and gas companies.
It also called for urgent action to get Scottish ports and fabrication yards "decommissioning ready".
The UK government says it has provided more support than any other government in response to falling oil prices.
Decommissioning 'a new beginning' How do you pick up an oil platform? The GMB's Scotland secretary, Gary Smith, told BBC... read more
- 19:28 Todmorden school is on the right track, 12 months on
- 19:25 Jose Mourinho still wants Mesut Ozil at Manchester United after...
- 19:25 Download Festival 2018 latest announcement includes over 60 acts
- 19:25 Arsenal increase offer for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang after second...
- 19:24 Who should pick the leader of Welsh Labour?
- 19:23 Spanish tapas restaurant signs up to Chester's Northgate Development
- 19:23 Derbyshire swing band reveal role in Oscar nominated Phantom Thread
- 19:22 Who is Lewis Walker - Derby County Under-23s' four-goal hero?
- 19:21 Police probe Backbarrow tool theft
- 19:21 Newcastle land Kenedy on loan suggesting £52m Chelsea double deal...
- 19:21 Sea of Thieves beta release date COUNTDOWN: Xbox One closed games...
- 19:20 Todmorden school is on the right track, 12 months on
- 19:20 Couple ‘handcuffed, blindfolded girl, 14, before raping her’
- 19:17 Windsor councillors quit over royal wedding rough sleeping row
- 19:17 Parts of Cumbria on flood alert as Storm Georgina set to hit
- 19:17 Former Premier League star named head coach of England Women's...
- 19:17 Kimberly-Clark puts hundreds of UK jobs in doubt
- 19:15 Parts of Cumbria on flood alert as Storm Georgina set to hit
- 19:15 Australian Open 2018: Marin Cilic makes shock revelation about...
- 19:15 Why Man Utd star Alexis Sanchez reminds me of two Old Trafford...
- 19:15 Derbyshire swing band reveal role in Oscar nominated Phantom Thread
- 19:14 Every Premier League side's most in-form star right now - according...
- 19:14 Liverpool News: Bale talks opened, Real’s Salah bid claim,...
- 19:13 Pound hits $1.40 for first time since Brexit vote
- 19:12 Yeovil fail to overturn Otis Khan's red card as boyhood Manchester...
- 19:10 Y Not Festival moves home after last year's mud bath
- 19:06 'More Europe? It's like giving whisky to an alcoholic' warns Matteo...
- 19:06 Vandals target cars in Carlisle street
- 19:04 Reggae legend Ken Boothe sings Burns in Jamaica
- 19:03 Jack Daniel's wants tasters from Derby to review new whiskies!