Tax sodas and juices to fight obesity: All sugary drinks should be 20% more expensive if we want to curb weight gain, WHO says
Governments should tax sugary drinks to fight the global epidemics of obesity and diabetes, the World Health Organization said on Tuesday.
Drinking fewer calorific sweet drinks is the best way to curb excessive weight and prevent chronic diseases such as diabetes, officials said.
To make that change they said all sodas and fruit juices should be 20 per cent more expensive.
The soda industry immediately hit back at the report, slamming the recommendations as 'discriminatory' and 'unproven'.
Scroll down for video
Temo Waqanivalu, of WHO's department of Noncommunicable Diseases and Health... read more
- 00:19 10 common myths about schizophrenia that are just not true
- 00:18 Freeze-dried dung gives clue to Asian elephant stress
- 00:17 Got your A-level results? Here’s how to decide where you want to go...
- 00:17 Didn’t get the A-level results you wanted? Here’s what you should do
- 00:17 You’ve missed your university offers – so how does Clearing work?
- 00:15 Virgil van Dijk in London: Chelsea target’s location exposed on...
- 00:15 Christian Pulisic to Liverpool: Star prefers move to Real Madrid or...
- 00:14 Cumbrian teen to meet Prime Minister today
- 00:13 Call for extra care home places as demand predicted to soar
- 00:13 Terror hotline tip-offs soar by 600 per cent after UK attacks
- 00:13 A-level results: Top tips for caring parents
- 00:13 A-level results: Finding your perfect course through the clearing...
- 00:13 A-Level Results Day 2017: Students receive grades after major shake-up
- 00:13 This is why children and teenagers eating breakfast is so important
- 00:11 Brum bin workers crush council cut
- 00:07 Trump happy Kim has delayed plans
- 00:07 Palestine: Protesters shot at trying to prevent house demolition
- 00:07 Northern Ireland: May spurns physical north-south border
- 00:07 May refuses to rule out state visit despite latest bigotry
- 00:07 Corbyn slams ‘nazi-like’ Islamophobia in the Sun
- 00:07 Britain plummeting into a ‘cost-of-living crisis’
- 00:07 Fracking: Shale rock professor says UK gas reserves 'hyped'
- 00:06 West Ham chairman David Sullivan working 20 hour days during summer...
- 00:04 Real Madrid 2 - Barcelona 0 (5-1 agg): Asensio and Benzema seal...
- 00:04 Everton boss Ronald Koeman refuses to rule out deal for Chelsea...
- 00:04 Real Madrid v Barcelona: Five things we learned from Zinedine...
- 00:00 Cineworld’s living staff deserve a living wage
- 00:00 The EU fly in the ointment
- 00:00 Sierra Leone: Families urged to help identify the victims
- 00:00 Argentina: VP Pence praises ‘brave reforms’ spelling misery