Syrian rebel advance in Hama as army pushes in Aleppo
Syrian insurgents made new advances to capture villages north of Hama on Thursday, rebels and a war monitor said, pressing a month-long offensive in an area of strategic importance to the government as it tries to seize insurgent-held Aleppo.
The advance may distract from the offensive by the Syrian army and its allies, Shi'ite militias and Russia's air force, on rebel-held eastern Aleppo following a massive bombardment since a ceasefire collapsed last week.
A Syrian military source said on Thursday that the air force had conducted strikes in a string of villages north of Hama that rebels... read more
- 01:36 Cardinal George Pell charged with sex offences
- 01:31 Housing bid on Preston farm site rejected
- 01:27 Harrogate to be central hub for 2019 UCI Road World Championships
- 01:25 The 20 most expensive transfers of the 2017 summer window so far...
- 01:25 Arsenal transfer blow: Bids for Alexandre Lacazette and Thomas...
- 01:25 Newcastle in talks with Liverpool for winger Sheyi Ojo
- 01:24 Call for free prescriptions for long-term ill
- 01:18 Rise in poorer students dropping out of university
- 01:14 Anne Kennedy: Give us our money Mrs May – nurses can no longer stay...
- 01:14 Leeds wins £3.4m grant to tackle homelessness
- 01:11 BREAKING: At least one injured after EXPLOSION tears through US...
- 01:09 UK CO2 and energy costs 'set to rise'
- 01:08 Wakely warns Northants of Leicestershire’s final-day threat
- 01:08 Saints, Cobblers and Steelbacks to battle it out at fun day
- 01:03 Five surprising findings from British Social Attitudes survey
- 00:56 North Korea in fresh war threat as Kim vows to brush aside UN...
- 00:53 Jayne Dowle: Clearing the air a decade on from the smoking ban
- 00:53 Greg Wright: Get a grip on runaway credit or we face a second crash
- 00:53 Anne Kennedy: Give us our money Mrs May – nurses can no longer stay...
- 00:49 Will YOUR next party have its own Snapchat geofilter? App now lets...
- 00:49 The Avebury stone SQUARE: Mysterious monument built nearly 3,000...
- 00:49 The dance of the supermassive black holes: Groundbreaking discovery...
- 00:49 The phone that doesn't need a battery and gets its power from the AIR
- 00:49 The REAL spider superhero: Thumbnail-sized arachnid shoots an...
- 00:45 ‘Patients with long term conditions cutting down on prescriptions...
- 00:45 Sudden ‘income shock’ forcing cash-strapped households to turn to...
- 00:45 Work could start on former Kellingley site by 2019
- 00:45 More students are dropping out of university early, figures show
- 00:45 Anne Kennedy: Nurses have had enough – we need to be heard
- 00:43 Tesco plans to axe 1,200 jobs as it ramps up its cost-cutting drive