Syria's Assad: Aleppo a 'springboard' to winning the war
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has said victory in Aleppo will make the city a "springboard" from which to retake the rest of the country.
In an interview with a Russian newspaper, Mr Assad said there was no choice but to "keep cleaning this area" and force rebels "back" to Turkey.
Syria and its ally Russia have stepped up bombardment of rebel-held eastern Aleppo in recent weeks.
Meanwhile a bomb attack near Syria's border with Turkey has left many dead.
At least 17 people, mainly rebels of the Free Syrian Army (FSA), were killed in the car bomb blast at a... read more
- 07:24 Woman launches Carlisle's first Death Café
- 07:24 Delays and lane closures on M62
- 07:23 Mambas, medicine and one girl's race to survive Kenya's biting problem
- 07:23 'A ticket to the next life': the lavish Buddhist dog funerals of...
- 07:23 Real Madrid vs Liverpool: Combined XI of the two clubs ahead of...
- 07:23 Chelsea news: David Luiz wanted by Carlo Ancelotti in first Napoli...
- 07:21 How many litres of water should I drink in a day?
- 07:18 I'm nervous about buying a house – should I go ahead?
- 07:18 Europcar claims I scratched my hire car, but where’s the evidence?
- 07:17 MP stresses the crucial nature of a good rail service for Berwick
- 07:15 Four arrested in Hartlepool following car chase
- 07:14 Carradice leads fight back as Birstall overcome Hopton Mills to...
- 07:14 Twist at top of Premier table as Hanging Heaton suffer first defeat...
- 07:12 Two Barnsley women due in court today accused of murder
- 07:11 Befriending service for the lonely in Northampton plea for urgent...
- 07:10 Dowson delighted to be part of Boyd's Saints setup
- 07:10 Arsenal star Henrikh Mkhitaryan reveals what he hopes Unai Emery...
- 07:10 Thomas reassures Cobblers fans that off-field issues will not...
- 07:10 Poolies have the power to drive Hartlepool United back where they...
- 07:09 Emergency ‘shock’ measures lined up for Scots economy
- 07:06 Man runs 67-mile heart-shaped marathon around Manchester to pay...
- 07:04 Health column: Athletes must look after their brains
- 07:04 IN PICTURES: Buckingham comes together for the royal wedding
- 07:02 Trains disrupted because of car on railway line in Rotherham
- 07:02 Guest Column: Does social media improve modern life?
- 07:02 Arsenal news: Mikel Arteta eyeing 'new Premier League job' after...
- 07:01 Football team of Northampton man killed in hit-and-run to hold...
- 07:01 Delays and lane closures on M62
- 07:01 Fears of staffing crisis as GPs ‘can only accept urgent patients’
- 06:59 Leader comment: The Scotsman finds Donald Trump’s perfect golf partner