Syria: ‘Last battle’ with ‘crusaders’ is off, as Isis fighters melt away
TURKISH-backed anti-Assad forces pushed their way into a number of villages south of Dabiq yesterday, hours after capturing the symbolic town where Islamic State (Isis) had promised to fight a final apocalyptic battle against “crusaders,” with minimal conflict.
The rebel forces led by Free Syrian Army (FSA) groups and some contingents of Ahrar al-Sham jihadists took control of Sunbul, Al-Salihiyah, Hawar al-Nahr, Ghaytun and Irshaf.
Their advance, which suits Ankara’s aim of establishing a buffer zone preventing Kurdish consolidation and denying Damascus control of its own border, was... read more
- 13:35 Mansfield woman found drunk in car after uncovering boyfriend’s lie
- 13:30 LIVE: Preston North End news - Monday's updates from Deepdale
- 13:29 UCLAN GRADUATES 2017: School of Forensic and Applied Sciences
- 13:29 ‘Good’ rating for Morecambe beaches
- 13:29 Earth-sized planet discovered with 'mild' climate and peaceful...
- 13:29 Lancaster businessman wins two Pride in the Job awards
- 13:29 Driving examiners to stage 48-hour strike on day new test is launched
- 13:34 Under-fire Walsall boss insists: 'I am going to keep doing the job...
- 13:29 Work set to start on £17.5m Penwortham Bypass
- 13:34 CCTV clip: Men jailed for Chapeltown Road attack outside Leeds...
- 13:29 Calls for Chorley Council to reinstate town’s Flat Iron car park
- 13:34 "Big hug for Tony Pulis" - Pep Guardiola's verdict on West Brom's...
- 13:29 Preston bucks the trend as more stores open than close
- 13:34 The case for Michael O'Neill as next West Brom manager
- 13:29 COLUMN: Why are we all so horrid?
- 13:29 Tributes paid to former first citizen Bob Williamson
- 13:29 Victoria Atkins follows in her political parents' footsteps
- 13:32 Morecambe Community High School head to resign
- 13:29 Garstang is blooming marvellous
- 13:32 I would not be here without the outdoors, says Blackpool mountain...
- 13:29 Behind the scenes at Audi's new design centre
- 13:29 Police continue to quiz man, 49, in Gaia Pope disappearance probe
- 13:33 Who was Sir John Whinnerah and why is the Tesco roundabout in...
- 13:32 Earth-sized planet discovered with 'mild' climate and peaceful...
- 13:29 ‘We live in fear without Longridge town police’
- 13:32 Jobs at risk at uni due to ‘Brexit challenges’
- 13:32 Driving examiners to stage 48-hour strike on day new test is launched
- 13:29 Want to tweet? Just be careful!
- 13:32 Hospitals face predicted worst-ever A&E waiting times this winter
- 13:33 Money saving tips for families ahead of Black Friday