Syria conflict: Russia sends missile system to Tartus base
Russia has confirmed it has sent an S-300 air defence system to its naval base in the Syrian port of Tartus.
Defence Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov said the purpose of the system was to guarantee the security of the base from the air.
The news comes amid tensions with the West, a day after the US suspended talks with Russia to try to coordinate air strikes against jihadist groups.
A truce brokered by Washington and Moscow collapsed last month.
Profile: Russia's S-300 missile system
"Let me remind you that the S-300 is a purely defensive system and poses no threat to anyone,"... read more
- 06:02 Westworld star Evan Rachel Wood on how the show helped her talked...
- 06:01 Leader comment: The wonderful tales Scotland must tell
- 05:56 Barnaby Joyce's partner Vikki Campion gives birth to baby boy
- 05:54 YEP says: Let Leeds have its day in the sun
- 05:51 Man Utd set asking price for Paul Pogba: FIVE clubs contacted over...
- 05:45 Chingford fire: Connington Court evacuated
- 05:44 Great gran killed after van smashes through her living room window
- 05:44 What centre of Coalville could look like after £1.1m redevelopment
- 05:43 Ariana Grande unveils emotional new single, No Tears Left To Cry
- 05:42 China accidentally reports two major quakes that never happened
- 05:42 Iceland launch spicy chicken thighs claimed to be world’s hottest
- 05:40 The last 12 Premier League champions ranked by possession - how do...
- 05:40 Man Utd star Paul Pogba receives the ultimate compliment from Luke...
- 05:40 Chelsea boss Antonio Conte reveals truth over Alvaro Morata sub:...
- 05:40 YEP says: Time for talking is over - let’s see action in Holbeck
- 05:40 Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger makes bizarre claim about crowd numbers...
- 05:24 Roast Beef Yorkie Wrap: Here's where you can get your hands on a...
- 05:06 Spy poisoning: Salisbury residents warned of toxic 'hotspots'
- 05:00 Syria returns Legion d'honneur award to France
- 04:55 Pyongyang calling: North and South Korean leaders get hotline as...
- 04:48 Anglican priest spared jail over online chats about child sex abuse
- 04:25 Playing God: should we revive extinct species?
- 03:54 Centrelink threatens Australians with welfare debts to pay up or...
- 03:54 Comey memos: Trump said Michael Flynn had 'serious judgment issues'
- 03:47 Roadworks latest: Where to expect delays on Friday, April 20, in...
- 03:47 Commonwealth meeting: Leaders to discuss who will success Queen as...
- 03:41 Burton's Ben Taylor, or DJ BTAY to his fans, releases first track...
- 03:19 Scott Morrison won't apologise for resisting banking inquiry
- 03:19 Saudi Arabia's first cinema in over 35 years opens with Black Panther
- 03:10 Kim Kardashian confirms closure of all DASH stores after 12 years...