Syria conflict: Militant leader 'killed in air strike'
A senior leader in a Syrian militant group that split this year from al-Qaeda has reportedly been killed in an air strike in north-western Syria.
Abu al-Faraj al-Massry died in Idlib province, according to the Jabhat Fateh al-Sham group, which was known as the Nusra Front when linked to al-Qaeda.
The Egyptian national and veteran al-Qaeda cleric was a member of the group's consultative Shura Council.
The Pentagon confirmed it had "targeted a prominent al-Qaeda member in Syria".
Spokesman Jeff Davis said he could give no further details as the Pentagon was still assessing the... read more
- 15:13 Transfer gossip: Morata wants United switch
- 15:13 Pair jailed for a combined 44 years over Cramlington murder
- 15:13 Caroline Flack's incredible dig at Amber's Love Island antics
- 15:12 Stop with your simple eye makeup: Unicorn horn eyeliner is here
- 15:12 'Disgusting' fly-tip in Derby city centre cleared up - and...
- 15:11 Virgil van Dijk is not for sale: Southampton chief hands Chelsea...
- 15:11 First steps being taken to tackle teen travel charges
- 15:11 Armed Forces Day in Berwick
- 15:11 UPDATE 1-Delivery Hero on track to raise 1 bln euros with listing
- 15:09 Lucky escape for M1 driver after metal object comes through windscreen
- 15:09 Why Hillsborough police chief David Duckenfield was charged with 95...
- 15:09 No final Grenfell death toll 'this year'
- 15:09 Delivery Hero on track to raise 1 billion euros with listing
- 15:06 Long Itchington man jailed after sexually assaulting 14-year-old girl
- 15:06 Cash stolen after ram raid at Wellesbourne premises
- 15:06 Warwick man is using extra leave time to cross off ‘bucket list’...
- 15:06 Manchester United's pursuit of Real Madrid star Alvaro Morata...
- 15:05 David James Kingsbury died from single stab to heart, murder jury...
- 15:05 New boutique club Soiree Lounge to open in Birmingham
- 15:05 Festival party time with Rusty and Steve
- 15:04 Primark is releasing a new Disney range that is sending fans WILD
- 15:03 Euro falls as central bank says Mario Draghi's upbeat economy...
- 15:03 David Wilson murder trial: Accused acted like 'petulant child' on...
- 15:03 Sterling surges to three-week high, FTSE falls on Carney rate hike...
- 15:03 Golden day brings school memories flooding back
- 15:03 North Korea calls for execution of ex-South Korea leader over...
- 15:03 Extra security in place for South Shields summer concerts
- 15:02 India's largest container port disrupted by global cyber attack
- 15:01 Thomas Lemar to Arsenal: How Gunners might look with Monaco ace
- 15:01 $esc.html($content.name)