Synthetic blood vessel breakthrough could transform childrens' heart surgery
A breakthrough in the manufacture of synthetic blood vessels has raised hopes that children born with serious heart defects could be treated in a single operation instead of multiple rounds of open heart surgery.
The landmark work comes from researchers in the US who made synthetic arteries that grow when they are implanted in the body, unlike the standard tissue grafts which are now used to correct faulty blood vessels.
Many children who are born with heart defects face a series of major operations over the course of their lives because the implants - known as conduits - that are used to... read more
- 21:22 10th year for popular ride and show fund-raiser
- 21:22 A blooming good fund-raising scheme in aid of charity
- 21:22 Stanley Park pour-down is a kick in googlies for Blackpool cricket...
- 21:20 Devastated Warsop teen appeals for help after beloved pet Yorkie...
- 21:11 Ashington residents digging into gardening competition
- 21:04 Liverpool relish final test to topple Real Madrid, the kings of Europe
- 21:03 Independent Scotland economy would need 25 years to catch up
- 21:01 Two people trapped after collision in Birstall
- 20:57 Two people trapped after collision in Birstall
- 20:53 Barcelona ‘say yes’ as Unai Emery targets Ousmane Dembele as first...
- 20:50 Two people trapped after collision in Birstall
- 20:49 Man Utd transfer news: Anthony Martial will NOT be involved in Toby...
- 20:49 Bedlington restaurant chosen for MasterChef style TV competition
- 20:47 Holocaust memorial plans to be published in Autumn
- 20:45 Three injured after car ‘intentionally’ mounts Portland sidewalk...
- 20:39 Wentworth wizard Rory McIlroy charges three shots clear of the field
- 20:37 Binging Nordic dramas on Netflix could seriously damage your eyes
- 20:28 Champions League final: Second company cancels Kiev flight
- 20:28 Bishop Auckland shooting: Man wounded by armed police
- 20:24 Champions League final: Sergio Ramos compares Mohamed Salah and...
- 20:15 Not so sheepish now: Google Street View adds the Faroe Islands
- 20:14 Putin says UK should stop blaming Russia for all ‘mortal sins’
- 20:13 Michael Owen’s Champions League final prediction as Real Madrid...
- 20:08 Prince William and Kate Middleton’s coat of arms and meaning as...
- 20:00 Real Madrid ready for chaos in Champions League final, says Zidane
- 19:59 Champions League final: Matt Le Tissier reveals where Liverpool...
- 19:56 Champions League Final: Liverpool FC need to ‘win it for Dundee...
- 19:50 Absence of swing leaves Anderson and Broad as baffled as the...
- 19:50 Armed bystanders gun down Oklahoma City restaurant shooter
- 19:47 Colombian police re-arrest Escobar hitman for extortion