Synthetic blood vessel breakthrough could transform childrens' heart surgery
A breakthrough in the manufacture of synthetic blood vessels has raised hopes that children born with serious heart defects could be treated in a single operation instead of multiple rounds of open heart surgery.
The landmark work comes from researchers in the US who made synthetic arteries that grow when they are implanted in the body, unlike the standard tissue grafts which are now used to correct faulty blood vessels.
Many children who are born with heart defects face a series of major operations over the course of their lives because the implants - known as conduits - that are used to... read more
- 07:01 Shadow Housing Minister’s pledge for more affordable homes in...
- 07:00 Dialog Semiconductor sees good sales growth in 2017
- 06:59 Who's in charge of Hands Off HRI - and is the money safe? Here's...
- 06:58 BREAKING: Helen Bailey murder - Ian Stewart guilty of killing...
- 06:58 Man wanted over Blackpool attacks
- 06:58 Fylde Tories doubt over county plans
- 06:58 Fast and furious waterpark slides get the thumbs up
- 06:58 Homes plan wins council approval
- 06:58 Donald Trump revokes Obama policy that affected transgender students
- 06:58 Mum’s Corrie delight after acting break
- 06:58 Police welfare a priority insist force bosses
- 06:58 Museum Trust enjoys success with open day
- 06:58 LIVE: Storm Doris in Lancashire
- 06:57 Man 'gutted' in knife attack after refusing to give cash to beggars
- 06:57 One horse hit by vehicle after ponies run loose on A19
- 06:57 Hartlepool homeowner threatened with court for paving over his...
- 06:57 Extra support for Hartlepool and North Tees midwives
- 06:56 Italy says no problem with construction of TAP pipeline
- 06:56 Tech breakthroughs take a backseat in upcoming Apple iPhone launch
- 06:54 Isle fat loss expert ties the knot
- 06:54 European boss makes big revelation about managing Liverpool
- 06:54 LIVE: Storm Doris in Lancashire
- 06:53 Heartbreak for family of boy with cancer as they reveal new tumours...
- 06:53 Storm Doris arrives with 90mph winds battering Britain and delays...
- 06:53 Driver with 62 points is still allowed to keep his licence
- 06:53 Homeless beggars gutted man when he refused to give them money
- 06:52 Roy Keane backs Man United to complete huge summer transfer
- 06:50 Rangers tax case to be heard by UK Supreme Court next month as...
- 06:50 Rampage Scot was so blootered after Blackpool binge he told cops he...
- 06:50 Brazen brothers who posted grinning selfies outside court face jail...