Swiss financier gets 5-1/2 years in jail for fraud
A former Swiss fund manager accused of cheating 2,000 investors out of around 800 million Swiss francs (£637.18 million) was sentenced to 5-1/2 years in jail on Friday, more than a decade after his investment empire collapsed.
The Federal Criminal Court ruling caps a weeks-long trial of Dieter Behring, who was accused of fraud and money laundering.
Behring, who has denied wrongdoing, did not respond immediately to an email request for comment. The ruling is not final as Behring may file an appeal.
The court also ordered the forfeiture of frozen funds and told Behring to pay the government... read more
- 06:08 Nigel Clough says Burton Albion's second-half turnaround was key in...
- 06:08 10 ways your home could be breaking the law – without you even...
- 06:08 Why booking a flight on a Monday could save you money
- 06:08 Hungry House takeaway service to close down
- 06:02 The most notorious derelict buildings in Leicestershire and what...
- 06:02 Why this Leicester couple will run the London Marathon dressed as a...
- 06:02 Where mobile speed cameras will be patrolling in Leicestershire and...
- 06:02 De Montfort University students escape jail 'by skin of their...
- 06:02 Arsenal targeting Nice boss Lucian Favre as Arsene Wenger successor
- 06:02 10 ways your home could be breaking the law – without you even...
- 06:02 Why booking a flight on a Monday could save you money
- 06:02 Hungry House takeaway service to close down
- 05:52 World Snooker Championship 2018: Mark Selby reacts after crashing...
- 05:50 Brisbane woman dies in police custody hours after being arrested
- 05:45 Drinking in Utah: the rules and how to manage them
- 05:39 Classical music star comes to Renew Church, Uttoxeter, for pants...
- 05:39 Unique ska-punk band Lightyear kick off anniversary reunion tour...
- 05:31 Armenian leaders face crunch talks after protests
- 05:20 'Ethnic purging': French stars and dignitaries condemn antisemitism
- 05:20 'It will not be very pleasant,' Iran warns, if Trump sabotages...
- 05:19 Gurrumul’s album Djarimirri is first Indigenous-language chart-topper
- 05:17 Ranby prisoner kicked female guard “by mistake”
- 05:16 Coronation Street spoilers: Connor McIntyre reveals who is at risk...
- 04:48 Mitt Romney will face primary after setback in run for US Senate
- 04:34 Why Burton is the perfect setting for Hollywood's next big hit
- 04:34 Final touches being put to Burton's new nightclub Allure ahead of...
- 03:49 Kelly O'Dwyer forced to admit banks royal commission was needed
- 03:46 Why a faecal transplant could save your life
- 03:31 The Lido author Libby Page on the power of uplifting fiction
- 03:17 WW1 hero to be honoured 100 years after daring submarine raid