Swiss beat UK's BT to next-gen G.fast broadband
Switzerland is the first country in Europe to deliver so-called ultrafast broadband to customers through traditional copper infrastructure, according to service provider Swisscom.
It said 1,000 customers were now using a G.fast connection, which can reach speeds of 500Mbps.
G.fast lets copper cables carry data at faster speeds than before.
In the UK, BT's Openreach has been trialling G.fast technology, but customers can not yet buy packages.
Openreach has been installing the fibre optic cables that facilitate superfast broadband across the UK, but has so far focused on connecting street... read more
- 12:04 Watch: Fearless mayor takes to the skies in charity wing walk
- 12:04 Watch: Dramatic moment car turns into fireball underneath the M6
- 12:03 White Helmets' bikes to go under hammer in Sherborne
- 12:03 Empty Market Square shop to be taken on and given £60,000 facelift
- 12:03 Festive spotlight on Harrogate as Christmas Guide is launched
- 12:03 Saracens fly-half Alex Lozowski signs contract extension as he...
- 12:03 Bridget Phillipson MP: Supported housing needs better funding
- 12:03 Woman who breastfeed a puppy and ‘fertilised’ one of her eggs with...
- 12:03 Something fishy going on at primary school
- 12:03 Confidence in police remains high - says latest report
- 12:02 ‘Appointments as usual’ during ‘emergency situation’ at medical...
- 12:01 Northern Ireland boss Michael O'Neill banned from driving for 16...
- 12:01 Real Madrid star Gareth Bale could be in line for return to...
- 12:00 Man who sourced heroin in Barrow is jailed after £3.7k drugs stash...
- 12:00 Dewsbury Moor overcome Saints to set up Woolston play-off final
- 12:00 Barcelona sporting director scouts Anthony Martial during...
- 12:00 Opening date for South Shore supermarket
- 12:00 Manchester United and Tottenham interested in Polish wonderkid...
- 11:59 Chesterfield council tenants may have to change their own lightbulbs
- 11:59 SNP ‘can’t have cake and eat it’ over Barnett Formula
- 11:58 Widnes care home facing closure prospect blasted as 'inadequate'
- 11:57 University lecturers show ‘overwhelming support’ for going on...
- 11:57 Chelsea team news: Predicted Chelsea line up to face Watford – with...
- 11:57 Red Star Belgrade vs Arsenal: Why does Europa League clash kick off...
- 11:57 Watch out Conor McGregor: Arsenal star hints at shock career switch...
- 11:57 Roadworks misery for one of the busiest roads in Kirklees
- 11:56 Chelsea star Cesc Fabregas admits Jose Mourinho was once his ‘enemy’
- 11:56 Could you pass this English test? Nurses must now ace this exam to...
- 11:56 Green brick developer KENOTEQ wins £500,000 Scottish Enterprise grant
- 11:56 Warwick sea scouts to take on 110 mile walk for new headquarters