Support in Furness to curb strict Sunday church service obligations
Legal requirements for Anglican churches to hold prayer and holy communion every Sunday are problematic for many rural spots due to falling vicar numbers and reverends having responsibility for several parishes.
RELATED ARTICLE: Is the Christian faith still relevant for young people today?
The Church of England is considering abandoning the legal requirement for Sunday services as those that don't hold prayers are technically breaking canon law.
Local reverends have had their say on the issue, saying it is a good compromise between tradition and the reality of falling congregations.
Local... read more
- 00:07 Have astronomers solved the mystery of the 'engine' on Enceladus?...
- 00:02 West Ham lead the way as Premier League launch Rainbow Laces...
- 00:02 Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes brings speculation over Rangers move...
- 00:02 Crystal Palace boss Roy Hodgson sees Christian Benteke as vital for...
- 00:01 McIness fed up with Rangers speculation
- 00:01 Rodgers prepared for a physical cup final
- 00:01 Welsh Rugby says No to violence against women
- 00:01 Saudis play with fire in Lebanon
- 00:01 Skulduggery over Brexit
- 00:01 Vatican threat to sue altar boys who allege abuse
- 00:01 Georgia Toffolo allowed to wear banned make-up on I’m A Celebrity...
- 00:01 More than 200 Sufi Muslims killed in Egypt gun and bomb attack
- 00:01 Trump 'told Erdogan he'll stop arming the Kurds'
- 00:01 Staffing crisis ‘continues unabated’
- 00:01 Apprentices cheated of £3.50 an hour
- 00:01 Uber looks to appeal rights ruling in Supreme Court
- 00:00 Marking the lives of the women killed by men this year
- 00:00 Why the Chancellor must introduce a Robin Hood tax
- 00:00 A Christmas cracker
- 00:00 Sublime Stockhausen at the Barbican
- 00:00 Graphic vision of a red revolutionary future
- 00:00 Robbing the poor to pay the rich
- 00:00 Women’s concerns should not be minimised
- 23:56 'Do me a favour' Chris Sutton and Ally McCoist clash over Brendan...
- 23:56 Rangers managerial saga is no excuse for Dundee defeat says Graeme...
- 23:53 Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho BLASTS his side for not scoring enough...
- 23:51 Arsene Wenger denies unsettled Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil has...
- 23:51 Chelsea boss Antonio Conte frustrated at failure to sort future of...
- 23:51 David Haye posts photo of nasty-looking arm injury that forced him...
- 23:48 Newcastle 7-29 Gloucester: Falcons slip to fourth successive defeat...