Support in Furness to curb strict Sunday church service obligations
Legal requirements for Anglican churches to hold prayer and holy communion every Sunday are problematic for many rural spots due to falling vicar numbers and reverends having responsibility for several parishes.
RELATED ARTICLE: Is the Christian faith still relevant for young people today?
The Church of England is considering abandoning the legal requirement for Sunday services as those that don't hold prayers are technically breaking canon law.
Local reverends have had their say on the issue, saying it is a good compromise between tradition and the reality of falling congregations.
Local... read more
- 08:00 Andrew Percy: Now I'm the new Parks Minister!
- 08:00 Four In A Bed featuring Scunthorpe hotel to be aired on Channel 4
- 08:00 Your complete guide to 24 events this half-term
- 08:00 Scunthorpe United midfielder Josh Morris looks at different way of...
- 08:00 Perspective needed for Scunthorpe United after Oldham Athletic defeat
- 08:00 15 homes in North Lincolnshire that have been reduced the most
- 08:00 Ambulance service apologises for hour-long 999 delay after...
- 08:00 Derbyshire scientist creates test to predict likelihood of...
- 08:00 Town centre post office to shut before Christmas
- 08:00 Warwickshire duo claim titles at Horse of the Year show
- 08:00 Royal Mail reveals Christmas postage cut off dates - get organised...
- 07:59 Blackpool Victoria Hospital’s ‘thank-ewe’ to heart surgery patient
- 07:55 Cork city guide: what to see, plus the best bars, hotels and...
- 07:54 Chelsea boss Antonio Conte reveals Paul Pogba dreamed of returning...
- 07:54 Grimsby family celebrate latest addition - making them five...
- 07:54 Chelsea attacker Eden Hazard will lead revenge charge against...
- 07:54 Miracle baby born with half a heart is family's best Christmas present
- 07:53 Big charity total raised by store staff
- 07:49 Inquiry finds Syrian government forces responsible for third gas...
- 07:49 Iraqi army tries to take main Christian town near Mosul
- 07:47 Take note of these M56 closures if you're jetting off on holiday
- 07:45 Opinion column – Knight’s Days with Sir Greg Knight MP
- 07:42 Triple tragedy spurs on granddaughter's staggering £3.5k fundraiser
- 07:39 Opinion column – Knight’s Days with Sir Greg Knight MP
- 07:38 Boy, 13, admits child rape after watching ‘gay porn’
- 07:38 Prison worker denies collecting inmate's semen in affair allegation
- 07:37 Education alliance celebrates 50th anniversary
- 07:36 Former Sunderland striker Daryl Murphy must bide his time at...
- 07:35 What to expect from Jose Mourinho’s return to Chelsea with...
- 07:32 Rankin takes beautiful photos of people with learning disabilities...