Supermarkets 'use bread for marketing'
Supermarkets deliberately bake too much bread in-store as a marketing tool to attract shoppers, food waste charities claim.
It means tonnes of unsold items are being collected daily in UK cities by one - The Real Junk Food Project.
Supermarkets have rejected the claims, saying all stores have targets to reduce waste.
But one food expert said bread is used as a loss-leader in a bid to emphasise the value of higher-priced items.
Corin Bell, director of the Real Junk Food Project (RJFP) in Manchester, told BBC Radio 4's You and Yours that fresh products are used as marketing tools because they... read more
- 04:23 North Korea maintains readiness for nuclear test at any time -...
- 04:21 Taiwan top court hears landmark gay marriage case
- 04:14 Chelsea join Man United and Barcelona in £26m winger battle
- 04:13 BOJ's Kuroda says there's no reason to withdraw monetary stimulus now
- 04:11 Man United deal ruined Real Madrid transfer plan: Chelsea could...
- 03:55 China accepts more Australian beef exporters as leaders meet
- 03:49 Liverpool firm up interest in Premier League star: Club will demand...
- 03:33 Angela Merkel 'confident' NO MORE countries will ditch the European...
- 03:31 Washington talks end without agreement on Israeli settlements
- 03:29 Judges to give ruling on woman's battle to divorce husband
- 03:29 Dame Hyacinth speaking...stage and screen stars up for honours
- 03:29 Police inspector found with £700,000 of drugs at home facing...
- 03:29 Marine who won Taliban murder conviction appeal to be sentenced
- 03:17 Nikkei rises as yen strength wanes but still poised for weekly loss
- 03:11 Sydney teenager pleads guilty to Anzac Day terror plot
- 03:04 China central bank to strengthen management of mortgage loan risks...
- 03:00 Poor behaviour 'not taken seriously enough in schools'
- 02:52 All-male White House health bill photo sparks anger
- 02:47 Nations urge Venezuela on elections, warn of diplomatic 'last resort'
- 02:28 Toshiba banks push for quick Westinghouse bankruptcy filing - Nikkei
- 02:28 Trump preparing orders to review trade deals, procurement - officials
- 02:26 YouTube's bid to grab TV dollars imperiled by advertiser revolt
- 02:24 Dollar, stocks edge up as US healthcare vote back on
- 02:24 Venezuela to withdraw troops after Colombia border crossing
- 02:24 China is not militarising South China Sea, Premier Li says
- 02:20 Wakefield 28-24 Leigh: Trinity climb back into top eight of Super...
- 02:20 Kiss and confirm! Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus finally take their...
- 02:20 What's your secret, Sia? See singer's INCREDIBLE transformation in...
- 02:20 Love Island's Cara De La Hoyde turns her attention to her best...
- 02:20 Tallia Storm recycles fluorescent pink fur coat to showcase her...