Superbugs ‘are going to wipe us out before climate change does,’ expert warns
Thousands of people already die every year due to antibiotic resistant bugs – but it could escalate into a worldwide disaster, Britain’s chief medical officer has warned.
Dame Sally Davies told Wired, ‘One crucial thing that got the whole world to take climate change seriously was the Stern Review on the Economics of Climate Change back in 2006.
‘So we launched our own Stern Review – and found superbugs will kill us before climate change does.’
An estimated 5,000 people die every year in England because antibiotics no longer work for some infections, said Public Health England.
Davies says,... read more
- 10:17 Whatsapp is testing a Facebook sharing update which could prove...
- 10:16 Extra tickets for Lionel Richie's Northampton gig go on sale
- 10:15 More sponsors back the Coventry Telegraph Business Awards 2018
- 10:15 Accident in Nuneaton involving bus and car
- 10:15 Former Sunderland footballer Darron Gibson could face jail today...
- 10:13 Driver arrested after car rolls onto its roof
- 10:13 Videos and pictures: Andres Iniesta plays final match for Barcelona
- 10:13 Sante Fe school shooting: Suspect 'was rejected' by victim Shana...
- 10:12 Driver arrested after car rolls onto its roof
- 10:12 Woman ignores road closures to try and drive through half-marathon
- 10:12 Prince Harry and Meghan gave their wedding flowers to hospice patients
- 10:12 Ten-day heatwave to be broken by thunderstorms before return to...
- 10:10 Holly steps into the ruby slippers for stage debut
- 10:10 Event to give Borderlands growth deal a boost
- 10:10 Two arrested over 1988 backpacker murder
- 10:10 Noise alert for Preston residents as overnight railway line works...
- 10:10 The Big Walk event arrives in Carlisle
- 10:10 Homeless people are jailed and fined £1,000 as councils crack down...
- 10:10 Adventurer dies on his eighth attempt to climb Mount Everest
- 10:10 Join in the fun - you know the day and time!
- 10:09 Chelsea news: Eden Hazard knows about Man City interest, Pep...
- 10:09 Liverpool 'to open talks with Lyon over signing Nabil Fekir'
- 10:09 20-goal season star 'agrees deal to join Manchester United'
- 10:09 Station signs point out the healthy way to travel
- 10:09 Patel stars as Warwickshire beat Yorkshire
- 10:07 Boozed-up jelly bean burglar was caught after returning to get his...
- 10:07 Musician Bill to meet the Queen at royal garden party
- 10:07 Asda’s sell-out £30 inflatable lounge pool is back for summer
- 10:06 Business boss fined £1,400 after axing 14 protected trees at his...
- 10:06 Travellers moved on twice in Boston after resettling from Woodville...