Sunset Song named Scotland’s favourite book in new poll
Sunset Song by Lewis Grassic Gibbon has been named Scotland’s favourite book in a new poll.
The top ten novels in the BBC Scotland survey included contemporary and classic works by authors born or based in Scotland.
The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks was in second place followed by Lanark by Alasdair Gray and The Thirty Nine Steps by John Buchan.
Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone by JK Rowling and Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh were also in the top ten.
The results of the public vote, conducted by BBC Scotland in partnership with The Scottish Book Trust and The Scottish Library and... read more
- 00:18 Sarra Hoy becomes premature birth charity ambassador
- 00:16 Triumphs of science fiction’s collective imagination
- 00:16 Much to admire in diva’s biodrama
- 00:16 A Woolf at the door of greatness
- 00:16 Rugby Union: NZ opts out of playing England in November
- 00:16 Bronze confident of beating Fortuna
- 00:16 ILO extends probe into labour laws
- 00:16 Rehabilitating George Bush and Tony Blair
- 00:16 ‘I don’t want no peace, I want rights and justice’
- 00:16 Did Orwell steal from a communist artist?
- 00:16 Labour forces another U-turn
- 00:16 Sudoku 3703 hard
- 00:16 Turkey, al-Qaida and the US all launch fresh offensives
- 00:16 Eurozone chief faces fury over insults
- 00:16 Venezuela: US diplomats ‘seek anti-Maduro allies’
- 00:16 Bosses told to give back job to abused nurse
- 00:16 State pension age could be raised to 70, says report
- 00:16 Teachers from NUT and ATL form super-union
- 00:16 Westminster in Lockdown
- 00:12 Westminster attack death toll rises to five
- 00:11 Arsenal star Nacho Monreal: What I think about Arsene Wenger's future
- 00:11 Coronation Street spoiler: Will David Platt’s secret FINALLY be...
- 00:10 'Solidarity and support': world leaders send wishes after attack in...
- 00:09 Recorded child abuse cases hit an all-time high
- 00:09 Westminster attack death toll rises to five
- 00:06 This postcode tracker shows how many people in Coventry are having...
- 00:01 Serious sex attack on woman in West Yorkshire village
- 00:00 44 Scotland Street: Homo ludens
- 23:57 AUDIO PREVIEW: Guitar king Joe Bonamassa promises 'two hours of...
- 23:57 Delaying access to high-cost drugs is 'numerical discrimination',...