Suicide rate hits 10-year high and dementia poised to become leading cause of death
The number of Australians taking their own lives has hit a 10-year high, while dementia is tipped to overtake heart disease as the nation’s leading cause of death within five years.
The number of suicide deaths climbed above 3000 in 2015 for the first time, rising more than 5% in 12 months, official figures show.
Suicide was the leading cause of death for 15-44 year olds, with males three times more likely than females to take their own lives.
Suicide rates were highest in the Northern Territory, while Queensland recorded the greatest increase in deaths.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics... read more
- 17:28 VIDEO AND PICTURES: Devastation left behind by travellers at...
- 17:28 Tragic tale of nursing mother's snakebite shocks India
- 17:28 Now or Never campaign launches 2 Minute Litter Pick boards in...
- 17:26 BREAKING NEWS: Person hit by train at Doncaster railway station
- 17:26 Champions League final: Jurgen Klopp on Mohamed Salah, Cristiano...
- 17:26 Motorists face severe delays in Leeds city centre as police deal...
- 17:26 Enjoy the high life and live like a Rockstar in Lincolnshire's...
- 17:25 Dismembered body of dog found near Lancashire railway line
- 17:24 Ban for Millom woman who denied being three-and-a-half times over...
- 17:24 Rugby firm helps turn 2CV into world's smallest food truck
- 17:24 VIDEO AND PICTURES: Devastation left behind by travellers at...
- 17:24 Troubled shades, tangled triangles and shattering grief
- 17:23 New life breathed into prominent Chesterfield building
- 17:23 Tiny ‘rabbit hutch’ house in Cambridge sells for £280,000
- 17:21 Man, 95, held on suspicion of murder
- 17:20 VIDEO AND PICTURES: Devastation left behind by travellers at...
- 17:19 Solo: A Star Wars Story: is Alden Ehrenreich fit to fill the...
- 17:18 Battle to bring 'brilliant' radiotherapy services to south Cumbria
- 17:17 Incident at Leeds Armley Gyratory reportedly clear but motorists...
- 17:17 Sheffield Council CCTV camera locations revealed
- 17:16 CALDERDALE COUNCIL: New town centre hotel plan
- 17:16 Five French Open matches we’re desperate to see including Sharapova...
- 17:14 Man shot through taxi window by armed police
- 17:13 Bid to make Millom dementia-friendly as part of action week
- 17:13 'Flawed' UK Nursing regulator set to be hauled before parliamentary...
- 17:13 Carlisle hospital parking firm suspended by DVLA
- 17:13 New players wanted at Warwick Girls U9s
- 17:12 Sheep gets stuck on Norfolk river bridge...again
- 17:12 Bidding farewell to Spotty House and Knaresborough
- 17:11 Sunderland University's £5million-plus boost for North East...