Sue Townsend's terrible childhood secret - she witnessed 1953 schoolgirl strangling
A terrible secret has emerged about the childhood of Adrian Mole author Sue Townsend two years after her death.
It has been revealed that the writer was playing in woodland near Blaby as a child when she witnessed a man strangle a young girl.
She was eight at the time, in 1953, and had climbed a tree with two friends when they saw the man dragging the young girl behind him.
The hidden group, frozen with fear, watched the him push her against a tree and throttle her.
In previously unpublished video footage from 2005, to be shown in a documentary on Saturday, Ms Townsend said: "My memory... read more
- 00:53 Paramedics in Liverpool to go on strike today in pay dispute
- 00:53 Door closed on devolution deal, Mundell tells the SNP
- 00:53 Forces need £20bn to face Russia
- 00:51 Guatemala ends search for volcano victims with 200 still missing
- 00:51 Eight arrested after violence at Manchester cycling event
- 00:49 Barrow exhibition to celebrate 70 years of the NHS
- 00:47 'The day I was diagnosed was the worst of my life'
- 00:48 Brooks Koepka makes history in holding off Fleetwood to retain US...
- 00:47 Inside Tunisia's Shams Rad - the Arab world's 'only gay radio station'
- 00:47 The untold good news story of America today
- 00:47 Griffin: Unfair that Question Time was filmed in 'ethnically...
- 00:46 Technical college for ‘coldspot’ Doncaster wins go-ahead
- 00:42 BREAKING: Major 5.9 magnitude earthquake STRIKES Osaka region of Japan
- 00:41 Join the Great British Bee Count and get ‘buzzing’
- 00:40 Paramedics across the north west are going on strike today - and...
- 00:38 Eurydice Dixon: memorial to murdered comedian vandalised
- 00:38 State of emergency declared in Papua New Guinea after riots
- 00:38 Iván Duque wins election to become Colombia's president
- 00:38 More rail strikes to hit this week
- 00:35 Paramedics across the north west are going on strike today - and...
- 00:31 Join the Great British Bee Count and get ‘buzzing’
- 00:30 Paramedics across the north west are going on strike today - and...
- 00:27 UK makes Windrush Day official with £500k grant to support events
- 00:26 Join the Great British Bee Count and get ‘buzzing’
- 00:26 Sudoku 4089 easy
- 00:18 Brooks Koepka wins back-to-back US Open titles - reactions
- 00:15 Paramedics across the north west are going on strike today - and...
- 00:13 Join the Great British Bee Count and get ‘buzzing’
- 00:12 Pundit challenged over clapping female host's World Cup analysis
- 00:12 Joachim Löw accepts ‘haphazard’ Germany on thin ice after Mexico loss