Stocks surge for May’s plan! FTSE 100 jumps to 16-month high amid PM’s Brexit announcement
The FTSE 100 jumped more than one per cent to touch 6,986 on Monday, coming at the same time as it was revealed manufacturing output is at a two-year high.
The index is now just 15 points from the bumper 7,000 mark.
A weaker pound also helped power the FTSE, after it was revealed Britain's would begin its exit from the European Union (EU) in the spring.
Sterling fell to a three-year and 31-year low against the euro and dollar respectively following the news.
Connor Campbell, financial analyst at Spreadex.com, said: "Monday morning saw yet another positive manufacturing PMI surprise for... read more
- 00:18 'Room for improvement' in rail safety, 10 years on from Grayrigg
- 00:17 One fifth of UK shoppers fear Brexit may impact spending - PwC survey
- 00:17 How Peter Thiel’s company Palantir was built with CIA funding and...
- 00:17 Chimps DON'T follow the leader: Researchers find they are more...
- 00:17 Mundell: Tax rise will drive away immigration from Scotland
- 00:17 Tories back plans for new nuclear power plants in Scotland
- 00:12 Do YOU know who your rivals in the office are? Experts find most of...
- 00:12 Google taking on Uber with 'carpool' service using its Waze app
- 00:12 Hackers can steal your information simply by analyzing the LED...
- 00:12 On the 20th anniversary of Dolly's birth, researchers reveal they...
- 00:11 Banks' bond trading up in 2016 for first time since 2012 after...
- 00:06 All-important antidote to mindless Hollywood pulp
- 00:06 Time to mothball divas’ swansong opera
- 00:07 Paige Doherty's family start #NoJusticeForPaige campaign and call...
- 00:06 The veins Nafta opened in Mexico
- 00:06 Hamilton rallies against ‘outdated’ Formula One
- 00:06 Gymnastics doc accused of sex crimes
- 00:06 Laidlaw out: A massive loss
- 00:06 Tata must honour its pledge to steel workers
- 00:06 A man at the heart of battles that shaped countless lives
- 00:06 ‘Fortress Australia’ – Government seeks Trump-like powers against...
- 00:07 Not tonight, I really DO have a headache: One in 100 suffer 'coital...
- 00:07 HS2 work to start after final hurdle cleared
- 00:06 Corbyn is no whipping boy
- 00:06 Ecuador: Presidential election goes to run-off
- 00:06 Turkey: Pro-Kurdish party leader jailed for five months
- 00:06 United States: Jewish centres targeted by bomb threats
- 00:06 May under pressure from own side over Dubs plan
- 00:06 Unison fights challenge to rerun election
- 00:06 New Met chief Dick ran op which killed Menezes