Stocks surge for May’s plan! FTSE 100 jumps to 16-month high amid PM’s Brexit announcement
The FTSE 100 jumped more than one per cent to touch 6,986 on Monday, coming at the same time as it was revealed manufacturing output is at a two-year high.
The index is now just 15 points from the bumper 7,000 mark.
A weaker pound also helped power the FTSE, after it was revealed Britain's would begin its exit from the European Union (EU) in the spring.
Sterling fell to a three-year and 31-year low against the euro and dollar respectively following the news.
Connor Campbell, financial analyst at Spreadex.com, said: "Monday morning saw yet another positive manufacturing PMI surprise for... read more
- 16:19 EU's Tusk hails 'Churchill' May, slams Trump for backing Brexit
- 16:19 Businesses can and will adapt to the age of populism
- 16:19 New 'Facebook for kids' launched in the form of an app
- 16:19 Gran has £100 East Point Retail Park parking fine dropped with help...
- 16:19 This area of Birmingham has been named the third hippest place in...
- 16:19 Struggling to find courgettes to buy in the shops? Here's why
- 16:19 EastEnders viewers spot ANOTHER gaffe - and they aren't impressed
- 16:19 Comedian Joe Lycett asking fans to go on a date with him for a TV show
- 16:19 15-year jail sentence for St Ann's man who raped child
- 16:19 Scarlett Moffatt hits back at weight loss critics who say she's...
- 16:19 Aston Villa transfer news: Steve Bruce hoping to land cut-price...
- 16:19 Wanted man ignored letter ordering him back to jail after being...
- 16:19 They love London and they've discovered the North, but politicians...
- 16:19 West Brom: Albion forced to recall striker after Football League...
- 16:17 Naked cleaners wanted by firm to clean houses in Northampton for up...
- 16:17 Dog dumped in Northamptonshire was so hungry it was eating its own...
- 16:16 Babies remember their birth language - scientists
- 16:17 Body found in suitcase: Leicester neighbours describe horror at...
- 16:16 'Exceptional' NHS Wales winter pressure days
- 16:16 'Family man' jailed after sex offences from 40 years ago come to light
- 16:16 Huyton ferry chef who was link between city gangs and Netherlands...
- 16:16 UFC star Nate Diaz to obtain boxing licence just months after Conor...
- 16:16 Market Rasen Racecourse PICTURES from County Race Day
- 16:16 Credit Suisse contacted analysts ahead of fourth quarter - sources
- 16:16 Renault-Nissan electric car sales hit 400,000, CEO says in Davos
- 16:15 Woman Who Awards 2017 to celebrate leading ladies in business
- 16:15 14,000 new homes planned for Nuneaton and MORE traveller sites
- 16:15 Naked female cleaners wanted for £45 an hour jobs
- 16:15 Man City make Spurs star their top summer target but face...
- 16:15 Four bikes stolen from Leamington