Steve Smith scores 141 in outstanding captain's knock before Australia wrestle back the initiative from England with wickets of Alastair Cook and James Vince on day three of first Test at the Gabba
Steve Smith kissed the badge on his helmet, as decorum demands, then thumped the badge on his chest. It was an appropriate one-two: Australia's captain had thrown body and soul into an Ashes innings for the ages, rousing his side and deflating England. Truly, this has been a gripping first Test.
By the time Australia's last man Nathan Lyon was out for nine, Smith had made 141 runs of the highest class and character. At 209 for seven, Australia's unassailable record at the Gabba was looking distinctly assailable. At 328 all out, they led by 26. On such innings do series hinge.
And its value... read more
- 10:20 Can't stop taking pictures of yourself? Then you might have 'selfitis'
- 10:20 Arsonists strike three times across South Yorkshire
- 10:20 Bradford police seeking man after woman seriously injured in crash
- 10:19 Bradford police seeking man after woman seriously injured in crash
- 10:19 Changes to bin collections over Christmas
- 10:19 Chesterfield chippy launches Christmas dinner menu - including deep...
- 10:19 When Victoria Street was focal point of city's shopping experience
- 10:18 Sky and BT strike deal which Leicester City fans will celebrate
- 10:18 M62 lane closure near Brighouse after vehicle overturns
- 10:17 Can't stop taking pictures of yourself? Then you might have 'selfitis'
- 10:17 Wladimir Klitschko: Anthony Joshua can unify the heavyweight division
- 10:17 HOLBEACH PARISH COUNCIL: New grants policy is adopted
- 10:17 Aljaz Bedene informs the ITF he is turning his back on Britain to...
- 10:16 Shkodran Mustafi back in training but Aaron Ramsey could be out...
- 10:16 Police boss says Force will put communities ahead of cost with £30m...
- 10:16 How we must all meet the challenge of tackling loneliness
- 10:15 Cumbria County council issue plea to find selfless carers for new...
- 10:14 Australia captain Steven Smith closes in on century as England post...
- 10:14 Celtic must get rid of European 'nerves' if they have any chance of...
- 10:14 Firm’s technical five star Blackpool hotel challenge
- 10:14 East Kilbride Road Club celebrate their best-ever season
- 10:14 Mansfield and district crime report
- 10:13 Playground and basketball court to be created on village green
- 10:12 Premier League preview: Can Man City be stopped?
- 10:12 RUMOUR MILL: Manchester United linked with Chelsea’s Willian ahead...
- 10:12 Playground and basketball court to be created on village green
- 10:12 M62 lane closure near Brighouse after vehicle overturns
- 10:12 How commercial activity is having a social impact
- 10:11 'I love a wedding. Just don’t make ME have one!' Kylie Minogue...
- 10:11 'Isn't this a family programme?' Louise Redknapp is criticised for...