Steve Rotheram demands powers over schools be handed to metro mayors
Steve Rotheram will demand the Government give powers over the region’s schools to Liverpool’s new metro mayor.
The Walton MP and Labour’s metro mayor candidate will today use a House of Commons debate to call for greater powers over education to be transferred away from Government to local control – and oppose plans for new grammar schools.
Mr Rotheram is due to speak in a Westminster Hall Debate “Education in Merseyside” organised by West Derby MP Stephen Twigg, due to take place later today from 2.30pm to 4pm.
Read More Angela Eagle: Tory promises on cutting tunnel tolls was 'cynical... read more
- 13:12 Hollywood actor flies South Shields girl over to LA after they find...
- 13:12 No 10 defends PM after Stormzy's Grenfell freestyle at Brits
- 13:11 Woman hits out at McDonald's over treatment of homeless men in Bury...
- 13:11 Hollins Grundy pupils start 5,024 mile walk to Beijing
- 13:10 Sex attacker from Sutton Coldfield jailed for assaulting five women
- 13:10 New images released of Birmingham landmark restoration
- 13:10 Boxing: Ryan Kelly drums out a warning to title rival!
- 13:10 Leeds United provide update on the plans for a new club badge
- 13:10 Fishergate Bollard returns home
- 13:10 Privatising county NHS contract 'will only save 0.07%'
- 13:09 What is a ‘Meet me at McDonald’s’ haircut?
- 13:09 What is a polar vortex and when will the ‘Beast from the East’ hit...
- 13:09 Worksop veteran George celebrates 107th birthday
- 13:08 Drug dealers who peddled 'misery' from their luxury cars were...
- 13:08 Banned driver spared jail after leading police on 70mph chase
- 13:08 Sunderland City Council deemed 'inadequate' and warned over...
- 13:07 Barrow teen admits assaulting police officer
- 13:07 This Leeds charity is giving inner-city girls a voice - and it...
- 13:07 Privatising county NHS contract 'will only save 0.07%'
- 13:07 Barrow drink driver banned after being double legal limit
- 13:07 ‘Even after I was sectioned, no-one really knew quite what was...
- 13:06 NHS trust 'banking on people being too ill to object to changes' to...
- 13:06 French man who kept porn on work computer loses privacy appeal
- 13:06 'I beg you, stop': plea from mother who lost two sons to knife crime
- 13:06 Chester council steps in after wall collapses in Liverpool Road
- 13:05 Fresh police appeal after Spalding newsagents’ break-in
- 13:02 Phillip Schofield appears worse for wear as he downs tequila shots...
- 13:02 North Korea nuclear war threats to resume IN DAYS after Winter...
- 13:04 Councillor who backed ‘Bring Back the Golliwog’ campaign resigns
- 13:02 Next of gher-kin? Michael Buble tucks into a pickle as he joins...