Sterling tumbles to 31-year low, oil ticks up
Sterling slumped to a 31-year low versus the U.S. dollar on Tuesday as concerns over Britain's separation from the European Union were compounded by the renewed strength of the greenback on a recent string of better-than-expected economic data.
Despite the dollar strength, both Brent and U.S. crude added slightly to recent gains that have come on bets that OPEC and non-OPEC oil producers could reach an agreement on limiting production.
Sterling hit its weakest since 1985, pressured by a growing sense that Britain may be heading for a "hard" exit from the EU where it severs links... read more
- 08:22 Here’s how you can cancel your Labour party membership
- 08:22 Challenge of delays in leaving hospital
- 08:21 Lorry driver rescued by Lincolnshire’s Deputy Police and Crime...
- 08:20 Zachary Quinto slams Trump over transgender students at Oscar...
- 08:20 Guus Hiddink on Leicester City’s shortlist to replace Claudio Ranieri
- 08:20 Lorry driver rescued by Lincolnshire’s Deputy Police and Crime...
- 08:20 Should Nottingham's Brian Clough statue be moved to the City Ground?
- 08:19 Littletown defeat league leaders and remain on course for treble
- 08:17 In Japan, 'Rocky' and 'Premium Friday' join fight against overtime
- 08:17 Chelsea first-team star could be shipped out this summer: Here's why
- 08:16 The Walking Dead's Jeffrey Dean Morgan SLAMS 'stupid people'...
- 08:13 Storm Doris sees Boston’s Sluice Bridge level crossing stuck shut
- 08:12 Middlewood Park and Ride closed this Sunday for maintenance work
- 08:10 Vital Foresight youth club saved thanks to £66,000 grant funding...
- 08:10 Health minister Philip Dunne backing midwife-led maternity units
- 08:10 Work to start on converting Newport's Royal Victoria Hotel into flats
- 08:10 Shropshire councillors freeze annual allowances
- 08:10 Spared jail: Telford teenager sexually assaulted woman as she slept
- 08:10 Shropshire savers lose out as building society cuts rates
- 08:10 Paul Nuttall defiant despite humiliating defeat in Stoke Central...
- 08:10 Shropshire pub raiders steal cash, alcohol and laptop
- 08:10 Person 'unaccounted for' after Shropshire house fire
- 08:10 Every goth needs these skull shaped bath bombs
- 08:09 90 Lancaster firms will be hit by contractor shake-up
- 08:09 Musical La La Land could make Oscar history this weekend
- 08:09 The Batman news: Ben Affleck REACTS to Matt Reeves taking over as...
- 08:08 Oil futures suggest bullish funds' big bet on price may pay off
- 08:07 Weather: Cold and sunny start, rain and wind later
- 08:07 Armed robber threatened petrol station staff with metal bar
- 08:06 Theatre-goers in for a treat with Cumbrian performance of Oliver!