Sterling slips after best day in three months
Sterling slipped back a little on Wednesday after its strongest one-day gains in over three months on a trade-weighted basis, having been boosted after a UK government lawyer said parliament would have to ratify any deal to take Britain out of the EU.
Having fallen to a record low last week on worries that Britain would undergo a "hard" exit from the European Union, in which access to the single market was sacrificed for the sake of tighter controls on immigration, the Bank of England's trade-weighted sterling index jumped 1.4 percent on Tuesday.
Against the dollar, it reached a... read more
- 17:12 Pensioner dies after crash in Benton supermarket car park
- 17:12 Do you get wetter by walking or running through the rain?
- 17:12 Former Mayor of Pendle suspended over racist joke share
- 17:12 West Brom transfer round-up: The latest on 15 players linked
- 17:12 New Burton Albion signing Jake Buxton wants to be part of even more...
- 17:12 Preston North End manager Simon Grayson given permission to speak...
- 17:11 Manchester United midfielder Ander Herrera has no plans to join...
- 17:11 Manchester United goalkeeper Sam Johnstone wanted by Premier League...
- 17:11 Tottenham appoint former Dagenham manager Wayne Burnett as Under...
- 17:11 Manchester United's hopes of landing Nemanja Matic hinge on Chelsea...
- 17:11 Germany vs Mexico, Confederations Cup semi-final LIVE: World...
- 17:11 Lewis Hamilton calls British Grand Prix 'most important race of the...
- 17:10 Taxi driver locked up for 11 years for raping passenger
- 17:10 Hundreds more new homes planned for sprawling Nuneaton estate
- 17:09 WATCH: Driver has SHOCK of their life when THIS flies over the top...
- 17:09 Half price Prosecco is available at Prezzo from today until Sunday!
- 17:08 The players predicted to sign for Manchester United FC this summer
- 17:08 Young talent set to dazzle at Rugby’s Aspire in Arts concert
- 17:08 New parents naming babies after politicians
- 17:08 Bad news for Brits flying abroad this summer
- 17:08 Life expectancy in England: Seven areas you're LEAST likely to live...
- 17:07 Commons voting on Queen's Speech
- 17:07 Wakefield district to receive share of £180m transport funds
- 17:07 Kirklees Council says high rise fire safety policy will be reviewed
- 17:07 Missed Love Island so far? Here's what you need to know if you want...
- 17:07 New parents naming babies after politicians
- 17:06 High-rise training for Tyne and Wear firefighters after Grenfell...
- 17:06 School to be closed following death of teacher Julie Parkin
- 17:06 Modest dressing: Why the cover-up?
- 17:05 The Ripon Mayor’s column with Pauline McHardy