Sterling slides to 31-year low as Brexit worries bite
Sterling slid to its lowest in more than three decades against the dollar on Tuesday, as investors sold the currency on worries over the impact of Britain's looming departure from the European Union.
Sterling skidded more than 1 percent on Monday on the back of Prime Minister Theresa May's announcement on Sunday that the formal process that will take Britain out of the EU will start by the end of March.
It extended those falls on Tuesday, slipping more than half a percent to $1.2764, its weakest since June 1985.
It also hit a three-year low of 87.51 pence per euro, down 0.2 percent on the... read more
- 11:07 Blackburn Rovers 1 Manchester United 2: How the players rated
- 11:07 River rescue after man falls off bike in Spalding
- 11:06 Highfields spot on for win in Laidler/Lancaster Cup semi’s
- 11:06 Staffing problems loom due to shortage of trained nurses
- 11:06 Firefighters alerted to blazing car in Melton
- 11:06 Sherwood Forest show for Tom Jones
- 11:05 Eric Gilligan: UK workers’ rights on the line
- 11:05 New Ssangyong SUV to be unveiled at Geneva Motor Show 2017 -...
- 11:05 Paul Pogba need this player at Manchester United: What he does is...
- 11:05 Sam Riley is 'anxious' about SS-GB
- 11:04 PLEASE SHARE: Have you seen missing Worksop woman Anna Marie?
- 11:04 London Midland praised for improvements in customer service
- 11:03 Boys as well as girls should be told about the evils of FGM
- 11:03 Jose Mourinho provides Manchester United injury update ahead of...
- 11:03 Ander Herrera seen rousing Manchester United team-mates in tunnel...
- 11:02 Daring councillor’s 70ft charity plunge
- 11:02 Barcelona name just one Spaniard in starting XI for the first time...
- 11:02 Juventus star Dani Alves says he quit Barcelona because they were...
- 11:02 Zlatan Ibrahimovic must love playing with Paul Pogba and Chelsea...
- 11:02 Pervert police officer sacked after being caught with indecent...
- 11:02 Sheffield City Region leaders unite to tackle inequality and boost...
- 11:02 South Yorkshire farmer’s live lamb cam is an internet hit
- 11:02 FTSE steadies after setting one-month high, Unilever slumps
- 11:02 VIDEO: Family of Sheffield man shot dead say 'We are all grieving'
- 11:02 Global airlines see Doncaster Sheffield airport in new light
- 11:02 Chinese news agency warns South Korea's Lotte over THAAD
- 11:01 Lindley hair salon fire: Two arrested on suspicion of wounding with...
- 11:00 Hartlepool Marina lock emptied for first time in more than 20 years
- 11:00 Another major deal for Hartlepool company
- 11:00 Appeal for witnesses after burglary in Northamptonshire village