Sterling recoups some losses after 10 percent plunge; stocks slip
Sterling recouped some losses after plunging almost 10 percent on Friday amid growing fears of a "hard" exit by Britain from the European Union that sent a shiver through world stocks markets ahead of U.S. jobs data.
The pound nosedived from $1.2600 to $1.1378 in a matter of seconds as one point in Asia after crashing through key support levels, triggering a wave of selling. The lowest of the trades was later cancelled.
But it quickly bounced and it was around 1.2455 by 0900 GMT, still down about 1.3 percent from late U.S. levels and leaving traders feeling bruised and a little... read more
- 05:26 Yorkshire named UK’s leading region for creative industries
- 05:22 Number of Britons over 65 living in Spain more than doubles in 10...
- 05:22 Stormy Daniels given key to the city of West Hollywood
- 05:18 Capitals beat Lightning to reach first Stanley Cup final since 1998
- 05:18 Celtics win again at home to put Cavaliers on brink in NBA playoffs
- 05:18 A snapshot of life on Yorkshire’s railways
- 05:13 'The Mediterranean diet is gone': region's children are fattest in...
- 05:11 Miles Kane: This is my Adele album
- 05:08 North Korea calls US Vice-President Pence 'stupid'
- 04:42 Trump administration launches vehicle import probe
- 04:35 Watch Hartlepool school children skip to it
- 04:29 Ariana Grande responds to sexist criticism about breakup with Mac...
- 04:29 Portnoy's Complaint review: exploring America’s sex-geography –...
- 04:24 British public
- 04:22 Ghost ships
- 03:46 Trump investigation of auto imports raises fears of new tariffs
- 03:43 Tom Richmond: New questions for Chris Grayling on Carillion HS2...
- 03:33 Wallabies prop James Slipper banned after positive cocaine test
- 03:20 Linda Burney admits interview transcript left out call for offshore...
- 03:01 Sterling Brown stungun arrest: Milwaukee police apologize to NBA...
- 03:00 Tom Richmond: New questions for Chris Grayling on Carillion HS2...
- 02:50 Liverpool news: Jordan Henderson warns squad ahead of Champions...
- 02:46 Sterling Brown: Milwaukee police release arrest video
- 02:31 Tesla Model 3: Elon Musk confirms price and specs for performance...
- 02:29 Jared Kushner granted security clearance after painful process
- 02:22 Itai Dzamara: The man who stood up to Zimbabwe's Robert Mugabe and...
- 02:22 Palestinians face uncertainties over Abbas succession
- 02:17 Andrew Hastie's use of US intelligence over bribery allegation 'a...
- 02:11 Brazil diesel prices slashed in effort to halt strike
- 02:06 Brexit: UK's 'strong objections' to Galileo sat-nav exclusion