Sterling in worst run of quarterly losses since 1984
Sterling stayed below $1.30 on Friday and was on track for a fifth consecutive quarter of losses - the currency's worst run since 1984.
The pound plunged to a 31-year low after Britain voted to leave the European Union, falling as low as $1.28 early in the third quarter, having already weakened in the run-up to the June referendum on worries about its outcome.
Sterling is now trading more than 40 U.S. cents - or 25 percent - lower than the six-year highs it reached in mid-2014, as expectations for the Bank of England to hike interest rates have dried up.
Last month the BoE cut its key... read more
- 12:42 Man jailed in connection with Underley Hall abuse
- 12:41 Big event in support of Alfie Evans and his family to be held at...
- 12:41 Cheers! It's a Beautiful World for award-winning Leicester pub boss...
- 12:41 Funding bids worth £1.1m are prepared
- 12:40 Lionel Messi wins EU court battle to trademark his own name after...
- 12:40 Sheffield murder victim's funeral to be held next week
- 12:39 Four Seasons app review: a concierge in your pocket
- 12:39 Derbyshire police appoint new Assistant Chief Constable
- 12:39 Facebook accused of bullying by MPs
- 12:37 Thames Valley Police Constable who feigned injury quits
- 12:37 Derbyshire police appoint new Assistant Chief Constable
- 12:37 Two taken to hospital after car flipped over near Old Red Lion in...
- 12:37 Lincolnshire ranked as one of the safest counties in England and Wales
- 12:37 Motorcyclist suffered head and leg injuries in city-centre smash
- 12:36 Observatory marks milestone with the launch of a new facility
- 12:35 Police want to trace this man in connection with meat thefts
- 12:35 How will the Spireites’ relegation from the Football affect...
- 12:35 Coronation Street spoilers: Alison King and Kym Marsh film mystery...
- 12:34 Dogs are taking over the anti-Brexit campaign with Wooferendum posters
- 12:33 Employees go the extra mile for Hatton Park based children’s charity
- 12:33 Lincolnshire ranked as one of the safest counties in England and Wales
- 12:32 Lincolnshire ranked as one of the safest counties in England and Wales
- 12:32 UK retail sales continue to disappoint in April
- 12:31 Film festival returns to The Dukes in Lancaster
- 12:31 Indian dancing session at Halton Mill
- 12:30 Celebrations as £2m campaign completed
- 12:30 'Alcohol' pilots cleared after evidence blunder
- 12:30 Durham clash is now crucial for the County
- 12:29 Do you know how to look after your bra properly? When to wash and...
- 12:29 Swaziland has a new name - eSwatini - but what else has changed?